House Price Crash Forum

A Sign Of The Times In London

HOLA441

Brockley has been mental for ages. Unless you absolutely must be within a 5 minute walk of the station there's better value to be had in Catford in the Culverley Green area or the Hither Green end of the Corbett Estate where there are lots of huge double fronted terraces. 'Better value' is relative though- I personally wouldn't dream of paying 500k for a house my parents bought for 57k in late 1984, just on principle!

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs BTW.

No not sucking eggs at all. I was watching this area for 3 years and it has gone b@tsh1t in the last 6 months. Fortunately I managed to buy a house which is a for lifer, but it's interesting to keep an eye on it all in any case.

Agree with you RE value - Blythe Hill has some nice houses but the SE6 Catford postcode so a lot of people turn up their noses at it.

From what I've heard, the parasites are now ramping Penge and even parts of Sydenham (!) now prices have gone up too much in SE4!

HOLA442

No not sucking eggs at all. I was watching this area for 3 years and it has gone b@tsh1t in the last 6 months. Fortunately I managed to buy a house which is a for lifer, but it's interesting to keep an eye on it all in any case.

Agree with you RE value - Blythe Hill has some nice houses but the SE6 Catford postcode so a lot of people turn up their noses at it.

From what I've heard, the parasites are now ramping Penge and even parts of Sydenham (!) now prices have gone up too much in SE4!

TBH I've lived in SE6 all my life apart from uni years and yet never really explored round there. I used to prefer Ladywell Fields and Forster Park :). TBH I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford the size of house I've become accustomed to round here, so at some point I'll have to join the 'white flight' and sod off out of London. But I'll not have been chased out by effnics and immigrunts, it'll have been middle class *****ers and BOMADers. I might elaborate some more in the 'pub trade dying' thread in a minute, but I was out in Catford a week ago Friday for my brother's birthday booze up, and we couldn't get a seat in the extraodinarily grotty 'Catford Constitutional Club', whereas the former Black Horse And Harrow (now The Goose OnThe Green), a genuinely fine Victorian boozer in its day, was half empty with bouncers on the door.

I can't fight it but it makes me sad. In my early 20s my mate and I practically lived in the Goose, middle class private schoolboys both of us but we had many a cracking night with the staff and a gang of builders. I met my wife in there. All gone now :( .

Edited by Rave

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA443

Dearly me, looks like the £50k hike didn't work after all. It's now back at £550k

http://www.kfh.co.uk/residential-properties/houses-for-sale-london/houses-in-catford-se6-winterstoke-road/2121528/

HOLA444

T

I can't fight it but it makes me sad. In my early 20s my mate and I practically lived in the Goose, middle class private schoolboys both of us but we had many a cracking night with the staff and a gang of builders. I met my wife in there. All gone now :( .

You would not have mistaken me for one of those! Still I'm quite a happy bloke!

HOLA445