House Price Crash Forum

How Does This Compare With Your Bank Savings?

sleepless

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Bank savings, houses UK or abroad , gold?. Just interested as you clearly don't like equities.

Where did you get that from? I simply don't like chancers who want to charge me a lot of money just for filling in a bit of paperwork. If I wanted to invest in equities then that is what ETFs are for. Or I could just buy a basket directly.

HOLA444

Which is?

Basically you just need to know what range of investments is available and how much they cost. I am yet to meet an adviser who can provide useful information beyond that.

The really valuable part is knowing how you get ripped off. For example, you should not to rely on anything that implies (rather than guarantees) returns. Such as a table where bond funds do really well because interest rates are plummeting. But there is no chance of them decreasing below zero, so the returns won't repeat. Or a stock fund doing really well over a period that includes the dot-com boom. Or a claim that RPI-linked investments will protect you against inflation (as opposed to unexpected inflation that is not yet priced in, and then only if the definition does not change).

HOLA445

Where did you get that from? I simply don't like chancers who want to charge me a lot of money just for filling in a bit of paperwork. If I wanted to invest in equities then that is what ETFs are for. Or I could just buy a basket directly.

Who does like chancers that charge a lot?. You can't trade directly without paying stockbroker fees. Fund fees cover trading fees

HL don't charge for advice (unless you specifically ask for it) - in fact they split the commission with you.

Just about every bank branch has a "financial advisor" which you pay for indirectly - unless of course you don't use banks.

So where do you invest that avoids fees?.

HOLA446

Basically you just need to know what range of investments is available and how much they cost. I am yet to meet an adviser who can provide useful information beyond that.

The really valuable part is knowing how you get ripped off. For example, you should not to rely on anything that implies (rather than guarantees) returns. Such as a table where bond funds do really well because interest rates are plummeting. But there is no chance of them decreasing below zero, so the returns won't repeat. Or a stock fund doing really well over a period that includes the dot-com boom. Or a claim that RPI-linked investments will protect you against inflation (as opposed to unexpected inflation that is not yet priced in, and then only if the definition does not change).

You'll find most investors do their own research. Its quite easy to see through the type of "advice" you've mentioned.

HOLA447

How does this compare to your bank savings ?

Invesco property income trust. code IPI

Floated around 2005 for £1 a share.

Currently 10% of a penny to sell and 40% of a penny to buy.

I am quite impressed that it is possible to screw up that badly.

Please provide a link as there is no such stock symbol as IPI on LSE/US/Europe.

Investec have a Property Equity fund - a top performing South African based fund.

HOLA448

Who does like chancers that charge a lot?. You can't trade directly without paying stockbroker fees. Fund fees cover trading fees

HL don't charge for advice (unless you specifically ask for it) - in fact they split the commission with you.

Just about every bank branch has a "financial advisor" which you pay for indirectly - unless of course you don't use banks.

Open a share trading account. Pay money into it. Buy some shares or ETF's. There will be a fee for buy of say £15 so dont waste your time with small amounts. There is no mamagement fee because you are doing it yourself and it is the management fee that goes off with your profits, not the dealing fee. No need for financial advisors.

HOLA449

Trading costs are the least of you worries, and I am not sure they covered by the headline fee either. A quick Google search suggests they might not even be included in the "total expense ratio", which can easily be well above the fee you think you are being charged.

They charge something like 0.5% of your money to keep track of it (or did last time I checked). Now what sort of yield can you expect on average? Oh, it will probably be somehow related to the BoE rate and long term yields. It may well be that paying that much is cost efficient for you, e.g. if you only have a small amount to invest (though the question then has to be why bother if you hand over much of the yield to someone else anyway).

Errm, no. In any case, it would definitely not be a reason for handing over yet more money to HL.

It's not so much a choice between paying fees to HL and not paying fees at all. It's more a case of paying for what you get. ETFs are cheap and liquid, often costing 0.3% or less. Or you can buy individual shares for under £10 a deal and no ongoing commission. Or you can go to a less greedy intermediary. My pension with Aegon charges 0.3%.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

You guys are obviously far more expert at investing than me,

I'll just have to console myself with the 26.5% yield

Enjoy. The only slight worry is that the figure is completely incomparable to what most people mean when they use a percentage to describe a yield. The only sensible way of measuring long term performance is the annual yield, and that is very substantially lower. Not low perhaps, but then there is no guarantee or even a prospect of the fund overperforming in the next 25 years.

Maybe you would like to get a job as an "adviser", and see if you can make money by selling the "yield" figure to the gullible?