House Price Crash Forum

Our House: Sum Of Its Parts

longtomsilver

HOLA441

I'm struggling to cost up our very ordinary 3 bedroom semi using ballpark figures at retail prices.

All guesstimates

Labour £10,000

Materials

Plumbing (including boiler, kitchen and bathroom) £6,000

Bricks £4,000

Windows/doors £4,000

Joinery/boarding £4,000

Electrics £3,000

Ancillaries £2,000

Total: £33,000

Have I missed anything or got it wildly wrong so why does the whole product sell for nearly five times that?

HOLA442

Your time has clearly been well spent on this forum Tom. :lol:

On the fixed asset side you've missed land, which is kept artificially scarce deliberately. Hence calls for land taxes as a progressive reform idea.

Then you've missed the real value of a house which is shelter. Shelter has a present value, some crazy fools, like me, think should relate to the rent required to achieve said shelter.

It's = it is.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

No experience at all in this field at all but I'd also guess labour is a little low.

Did you include roof tiles in that or are you including that under bricks and joinery?

Also cost of installing utilities such as gas, elec, sewage, water etc if not already provided up to the plot?

I would be surprised if you could build a house from scratch for much less than £50k unless perhaps if it's a flat or a terrace.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Long retired builder told me in 1958 he built a house for a couple of hundred quid. (all the body of it anyway, probably not including bathroom or kitchen)

Bricks were £5 per thousand delivered now they're £1500 per thousand ex del.

now you have to build a house to that conforms to a lot higher standards, the two senarios are not like for like.

£1.50 a brick sounds over the top, cheapest bricks are 25-30p, 50-60p more realistic.

With skilled trades comming in at least £1000 a week, I don't see how 10 men build a house in a week, maybe put together a timber frame prefab construction.

HOLA448

Archived