House Price Crash Forum

Freezer Cooking

pl1

HOLA441

As title, I want reasonably healthy meals I can cook all at once, stick in freezer and warm it up over the following few days. Quick recipes please that you have used and love.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

If you are going to eat them over the next few days, you do not need to freeze them.

Are you a decent cook or a novice? What sort of stuff do you like? Are you limited for time in the evening, and hence not cooking from scratch?

Thankyou for your quick reply.

What about over a couple of weeks?

Pasta. I am a basic cook and tire of cooking meals all the time since I started my weight gain program about a month ago (got a thread on here somewhere about that if you really want to read it) but prefer to eat healthy where possible. I would use creme freche instead of creme I guess. Did I say I like pasta?

I do maltodextrin drinks but want proper food too.

HOLA445
Guest Noodle

Noodle will be along shortly, I hope you like bolognese.

Chicken curry is another, any pasta goo stuff or baked spud filling that freezes.

HOLA446
HOLA447

home-made baked beans, do a pressure-cooker full, tub in individual portions and freeze. Also make homemade bread, slice and freeze. Awesome stuff.

HOLA448

My complaint with this approach to cooking is you can unimaginatively end up with a load similar stuff you just add to rice/pasta/spuds. That and soups.

Another idea that has come up here before is to make and freeze batches of sandwiches for packed lunches. Not exactly "cooking" but can save you time if that is what you are trying to achieve.

HOLA449
Guest Noodle

My complaint with this approach to cooking is you can unimaginatively end up with a load similar stuff you just add to rice/pasta/spuds. That and soups.

Another idea that has come up here before is to make and freeze batches of sandwiches for packed lunches. Not exactly "cooking" but can save you time if that is what you are trying to achieve.

You really aren't on board with this. You can't get to grips with it and you need to get with the programme.

That deep freeze you got. Now you need a bunch of different recipes, bulk cook, transfer to those portion sized plastic tubs . . .

Look, you could do all this tomorrow since 'she' is away.

HOLA4410

I'm not too bothered about this as I eat pretty much the same stuff anyway, it's just a pain to cook it all the time when it seems unnecessary.

I've never thought about freezing sandwiches. When you reheat this stuff is there a rule of thumb?

HOLA4411

You really aren't on board with this. You can't get to grips with it and you need to get with the programme.

That deep freeze you got. Now you need a bunch of different recipes, bulk cook, transfer to those portion sized plastic tubs . . .

Look, you could do all this tomorrow since 'she' is away.

No I haven't. I'm trying to use all the freezer stuff to defrost and switch it all off when I'm away. The cook-off will be at the start of Sept.

HOLA4412

As title, I want reasonably healthy meals I can cook all at once, stick in freezer and warm it up over the following few days. Quick recipes please that you have used and love.

Lentil and bacon soup......cheap, healthy and delicious:

Chop and fry an onion a stick of celery(optional) and a couple of rashers of bacon. Add a chopped clove of garlic for the last minute. Add 1 litre of vegetable bouillon or stock, add 300 g of red lentils a med sized chopped potato and a chopped carrot. Cook for around 20 minutes. No need to season as the bacon and stock have plenty of salt. The lentils give a great texture and rich earthiness.

A brilliant hearty lunch for 3. Try it to see if you like it. If you do, double the quantities and freeze in batches.

HOLA4413

I'm not too bothered about this as I eat pretty much the same stuff anyway, it's just a pain to cook it all the time when it seems unnecessary.

I've never thought about freezing sandwiches. When you reheat this stuff is there a rule of thumb?

Freezing sandwiches sounds a terrible idea.

Always best to defrost thoroughly...overnight in the fridge or leave the container out in the morning and it will be fine in the evening.

3 minutes in a microwave should heat a single portion of most things, with a stop and stir in the middle.

HOLA4414
Guest Noodle

No I haven't. I'm trying to use all the freezer stuff to defrost and switch it all off when I'm away. The cook-off will be at the start of Sept.

Did you get the big cooking pot yet. Only need a stainless one.

Pot. Not sure if big enough.

Also consider a pressure cooker.

Pressure cooker.

Get down the local cheapo plastic place and find lots and lots of portion sized microwave safe plastic tubs with lids.

HOLA4415

Pretty much anything that's meat-and-veg boiled together in a big pot is a candidate for freezing. Bolognese, beef stew, soups, curries,...

I pretty much lived like that for 10 years.

Just check on the things that cannot be frozen (eggs) and you're golden.

HOLA4416

These are all family favourites where I cook at least double and freeze the remainder.

Cider sausages

Cod & sweetcorn chowder

Chicken curries

Mixed bean chilli

Chicken tetrazzini

Bolognese sauce

Pesto chicken

Pork stroganoff

Salmon in fennel sauce

Beef with port & walnuts

Have a look here too.

Shout if you want any recipes. :)

HOLA4417
Guest Noodle

Pretty much anything that's meat-and-veg boiled together in a big pot is a candidate for freezing. Bolognese, beef stew, soups, curries,...

I pretty much lived like that for 10 years.

Just check on the things that cannot be frozen (eggs) and you're golden.

By cooking like this, how much do you reckon you save over a year compared to the ready-meal fats, carbs and e-numbers Daiking lives on?

HOLA4418
Guest Noodle

These are all family favourites where I cook at least double and freeze the remainder.

Cider sausages

Cod & sweetcorn chowder

Chicken curries

Mixed bean chilli

Chicken tetrazzini

Bolognese sauce

Pesto chicken

Pork stroganoff

Salmon in fennel sauce

Beef with port & walnuts

Have a look here too.

Shout if you want any recipes. :)

Yes, all of them please. :)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest Noodle

You must mean some other daiking because we cook from scratch in this house :P

Microwaving last nights Hong Style Sweet and Sour King Prawn with Singapore Special Fried Rice for breakfast does not constitute 'cooking from scratch'.

I bet that bike's still on the wall too, like a big shiny ornament.

HOLA4421

Microwaving last nights Hong Style Sweet and Sour King Prawn with Singapore Special Fried Rice for breakfast does not constitute 'cooking from scratch'.

I bet that bike's still on the wall too, like a big shiny ornament.

I'm more a fan of indian food or Costa's chippy down the road.

The bike has been been out but not as often as I'd like, bloody rain. And before you say anything about fair weather cycling, rain + specs + pot holes = accident waiting to happen. Been on the clothes horse exercise bike instead. Not the same but it shows some application.

Isn't this a thread about frozen food? I might be tempted to trial some jacket potatoes. It seems such a shame to put the oven on for 2 hours to bake some potatoes. I want to try throwing a couple in when doing something else and freezeing them till they're needed.

HOLA4422
Guest Noodle

I'm more a fan of indian food or Costa's chippy down the road.

The bike has been been out but not as often as I'd like, bloody rain. And before you say anything about fair weather cycling, rain + specs + pot holes = accident waiting to happen. Been on the clothes horse exercise bike instead. Not the same but it shows some application.

Isn't this a thread about frozen food? I might be tempted to trial some jacket potatoes. It seems such a shame to put the oven on for 2 hours to bake some potatoes. I want to try throwing a couple in when doing something else and freezeing them till they're needed.

Nah, just microwave the spuds then brown off with one of those gas flame torches.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

Maybe one week of extra life per year of eating proper food? B)

Oh that reminds me. Celebrations, Makro finally gave me a discount card! Whooppee******! :D

As I am trapped in the jungle surrounded by only sticky rice and chilli, the nearest town being an hour away across road that would give Rambo hemorrhoids . . . tis' the reason for my bulk cook off's and spag bol sauce cryogenics.

Savings here over local markets are 50-60%, seriously these know how to charge and even mother-in-law has finally worked out why I stack the truck high. Unit costs. Blimey. Long mental journey.

Trying to get an idea of how to do this in Blighty, wot wiv elderly's to look after and costs and wotnots.

That said, I consume that of an anorexic parrot now so costs shouldn't run to what they once did when I was Oprah obese.

HOLA4425
Guest Noodle

Maybe one week of extra life per year of eating proper food? B)

Oh by the way I meant money, couldn't care less about longevity just requires an unachievable pension plan.

Archived