House Price Crash Forum

E T Fs, The Next Ponzi To Explode, Bloomberg

HOLA441

The thing is that the vast majority of fund managers underperform any given index that they track. Picking the right one is like a lottery. Overall you are far more likely to win with an ETF and they are more liquid than a fund given that you can buy and sell them very quickly on any major dips or rises.

This is the main consideration. Having lived and invested in the US previously I was shocked at the management fees levied by unit trusts here and the lack of choice when it came to ETFs. At least the latter has changed recently. Still problems with certain ETFs not allowed within an ISA though.

And when will a small value ETF like IWN in the US become available here?

HOLA442

This is the main consideration. Having lived and invested in the US previously I was shocked at the management fees levied by unit trusts here and the lack of choice when it came to ETFs. At least the latter has changed recently. Still problems with certain ETFs not allowed within an ISA though.

And when will a small value ETF like IWN in the US become available here?

Nothing to stop you buying a US domiciled ETF if you have a broker with access to the NYSE or AMEX. They're ISA compatible too.

Halifax online share dealing are quite happy to buy IWN for use in an ISA account.

HOLA443

This is true. Markets are driven by psychology--the ETF Ponzi may cause all gold investors to panic and run. Stampedes do not discriminate.

complete nonsense.

if people suddenly discovery there is a significantly less gold than they thought there was, the price of gold will rise suddenly and significantly.

HOLA444

Nothing to stop you buying a US domiciled ETF if you have a broker with access to the NYSE or AMEX. They're ISA compatible too.

Halifax online share dealing are quite happy to buy IWN for use in an ISA account.

I have an ISA with TD Waterhouse here and they don't have access to AMEX so most US ETFs are unavailable. Doesn't matter to me as I have holdings in IWN in my US accounts, but what I am surprised about is the lack of style funds, ie small value, large growth, that are domiciled here in the UK.

Don't the fund providers over here know about Fama & French's famous paper? Its nearly 20 years old now.

HOLA445