House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agent Monitor

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
No idea, but if you find a way can you let me know! ta.

Oh, while you're around Mildura could I ask you an EA-related question (sorry to de-rail the thread OP)?

Hypthetically, if I put a bid in for a property and the EA claims that they've recieved another offer, is there anyway of confirming the veracity of this claim? Or would they use the Data Protection Act to parry this query?

Many thanks.

HOLA444
Oh, while you're around Mildura could I ask you an EA-related question (sorry to de-rail the thread OP)?

Hypthetically, if I put a bid in for a property and the EA claims that they've recieved another offer, is there anyway of confirming the veracity of this claim? Or would they use the Data Protection Act to parry this query?

Many thanks.

Well, it is illegal to claim there is an offer on a property when there isn't one. Either the estate agents act 1979, or property misdescriptions act 1991, can't remember which.

Anyway, the difficulty is proving they're lying. I have had one or two occasions over the years where people have accused me of such a trick (how very dare they!! <_< ) and I've asked them to come into the office and so that I can show them parts of the file including offer letters, viewing records etc - this seems to have solved the problem.

However, I accept that all agents aren't going to do this. To my mind, if they hide begind the DPA and look/sound dodgy, they're probably full of shit.

Hope that helps a little, although there is no firm answer I'm afraid. :)

HOLA445

Many thanks.

I don't think there is any legal way to find out about other offers. Surely the important thing is to confirm that the agent has passed on your offer even if it is supposedly lower than another offer.