House Price Crash Forum

Urgent Advise Needed

smiffy1967

HOLA441

Had a local council assisted move last year around July 14th all because i had to bring enviromental health on my previous landlord. I wont go into detail - but the council enviromental health officer negotiated with my previous landlord for him to get my £600 deposit back and the council officer advised us on the day we leave the house our old landlord would give us back our deposit. He never did - when i contacted the council they advised they had no legal power to get it back from him and he had the right to keep it as we left one month before the end of contract - although the earlier move was all negotiated by the council and deposit return also agreed. After loads of wrangling as i have email prrof of the council officer saying that we would get our deposit back - the council offered us £70 compensation. I could not afford to pay solicitors to fight it for me at the time so let it go.

My new contract was bonded by the council and i had a year to save up the bond - the year is up July 14th. The council are responsible for the let conditions until 14th July. The landlady uses the local authority to find tenants, the landlady has yet to furnish us a new contract for 15th july onwards. I received a letter from the landlady today saying that as £600 was not put in the bond fund at the local credit union - that on the 15th July she will require £600 bond plus £600 rent or she wont be able to continue the lease (she will have to pay her own mortgage, can't see her wanting to do that)

I plan to move on July 13th and leave no forwarding address - i will be moving to another county as after 5 years i have now been offered a 2 bed council house on a nice estate. I am leaving my landlady with an additional £600 as i paid £1200 the month i moved in (1 month rent plus 1 months security - but i paid no deposit) i consider the extra months rent as money she can use for any damage and cleaning costs.

I think that she will go to the council and advise i did a midnight move and demand they pay costs as we moved before the council agreed tenancy ended making the council liable as the council acted as the bond holder.

Do i have anything to worry about? I hope the council end up paying the landlady since the council lost me (as far as i am concerned my last deposit - i look at it as poetic justice