House Price Crash Forum

Help Please! - Tracking The Marketing Of A House

tiggy748

HOLA441

Two part question:

I have just been offered a decent ish sum for my house. Since its been on i have vaugly watched other properties. One caught my eye. A bog standard 3 bed semi but at a good price for the location. (it needs lots of work, it is/was old persons home so probably needs gutting)

However im sure it has been on the market for at least 6 months and the asking price hasnt changed. Is there any way I can find out what the inital asking price was and if there have been any reductions since? (without asking the agent)

Next question how much has the market (on average) fallen since last June?

I just want to know how to work out what the house should actualy be worth now.

HOLA442
Two part question:

I have just been offered a decent ish sum for my house. Since its been on i have vaugly watched other properties. One caught my eye. A bog standard 3 bed semi but at a good price for the location. (it needs lots of work, it is/was old persons home so probably needs gutting)

However im sure it has been on the market for at least 6 months and the asking price hasnt changed. Is there any way I can find out what the inital asking price was and if there have been any reductions since? (without asking the agent)

Next question how much has the market (on average) fallen since last June?

I just want to know how to work out what the house should actualy be worth now.

It's worth whatever the seller gets for it. Now I guess if you work out the percentage you thought yours was at peak, and then work out the difference compared to what you sold it for, then if it's a similar area then you could offer that similar percentage reduction as an offer.

The market has fallen by I'd say at least 80%, but then I might actually want to buy a house, and it's personal opinion. The market according to most house owners trying to sell, and Sibley, is about to boom about 10%

I know it's not very helpful, but I'd really just put in an offer on what you think it's worth, and maybe you could estimate with a builder friend how much it would actually cost to do it up. Ask for a second viewing, to show a friend around. I'm sure the EA would be happy with a trip out instead of playing minesweeper (that's if they can still afford petrol).

HOLA443
It's worth whatever the seller gets for it. Now I guess if you work out the percentage you thought yours was at peak, and then work out the difference compared to what you sold it for, then if it's a similar area then you could offer that similar percentage reduction as an offer.

The market has fallen by I'd say at least 80%, but then I might actually want to buy a house, and it's personal opinion. The market according to most house owners trying to sell, and Sibley, is about to boom about 10%

I know it's not very helpful, but I'd really just put in an offer on what you think it's worth, and maybe you could estimate with a builder friend how much it would actually cost to do it up. Ask for a second viewing, to show a friend around. I'm sure the EA would be happy with a trip out instead of playing minesweeper (that's if they can still afford petrol).

Unfortunatly not similar to ours, My current house is a 2 bed listed cottage in a village. We are trying to get rid of our mortgage - moving here would mean halfing it and I get to rip a house apart ( I love this stage!) Im not fussed about what this house is actualy like, its a solid ex council in a private area. I will just bash walls down, extend, renovate it.

It been on at 117,00 for at least 4 months, I guess a 100K offer is about right but hey I might try 90K and see what happens!

I was just after some solid "the house prices have fallen by XXX meaning this house is only worth XXX and not what you are asking for it"

HOLA444
Unfortunatly not similar to ours, My current house is a 2 bed listed cottage in a village. We are trying to get rid of our mortgage - moving here would mean halfing it and I get to rip a house apart ( I love this stage!) Im not fussed about what this house is actualy like, its a solid ex council in a private area. I will just bash walls down, extend, renovate it.

It been on at 117,00 for at least 4 months, I guess a 100K offer is about right but hey I might try 90K and see what happens!

I was just after some solid "the house prices have fallen by XXX meaning this house is only worth XXX and not what you are asking for it"

The common wisdom on here is "If you're not embarrassed by your offer, it's not low enough"

They can always say "no" What you're trying to find is the lowest point they'll say "yes" at isn't it? So if you start off being reasonable you'll just give them the upper hand. Put in an embarrassingly low offer, add some wild and crazy builders estimate, and then wait. It's not like there isn't an oversupply of houses for sale at the moment, and still won't be for at least the next 5 years.

HOLA445

Property bee is your friend!

HOLA446
HOLA447
I have just been offered a decent ish sum for my house. Since its been on i have vaugly watched other properties. One caught my eye. A bog standard 3 bed semi but at a good price for the location. (it needs lots of work, it is/was old persons home so probably needs gutting).

TAKE THE MONEY and worry about buying afterwards.

Theres no point even looking for a house until the cash is in your bank account.

Plus once you've got cash you in a better bargaining position, and could even consider an auction where you'll save 50%.

Just to clarify that:

TAKE THE MONEY!!!!!