House Price Crash Forum

Coin Cases

HOLA441
HOLA442
Anyone recommend any decent storage cases for sovs and 1 oz gold coins?

Do the coin collectors here use those plastic capsules or are they unnecessary?

Gold is one of the top of the Noble group of metals so it doesn’t really deteriorate or tarnish like silver.

If you are storing bullion then just put each coin into a thick zip lock bag or flip over top type coin holder and it will be protected enough that any damage will not really affect the price even if the coin has any some extra value to a coin collector.

If you are collecting coins, buying them because they have a value for rarity or condition then you can store each coin in either flip type pockets or capsules. Don’t bother with card holders that allow you to see the coin as these still allow the coin to get damaged and so do most paper sided envelopes.

If it is a Proof coin, then do not touch it with your bare hands but use clean cotton gloves or cloth. The surface of your fingers is covered with sweat and oil, the coin looks fine after you have touched it but after time the sweat and oil dries and starts to add a patina to the coin that cannot be removed without changing the surface and destroying its Proof value.

HOLA443
Anyone recommend any decent storage cases for sovs and 1 oz gold coins?

Do the coin collectors here use those plastic capsules or are they unnecessary?

Lighthouse Coin Capsules are very effective and quite inexpensive (less than a fiver for 20). Look on e-bay or google.

I find capsules especially useful for silver (even bullion) because that tarnishes due to sulpher in the air.

Gold doesn't easily tarnish but one can get a build up of oils, dust, dirt etc on the surface.

Even bullion coins are more 'sellable' if they look naturally clean (as opposed to cleaned with a polish). Bullion houses maybe are not quite so 'picky' but if you are selling to another person or a jewellry shop they definitely seem to prefer less tarnished examples.

Edited by Zadkiel

HOLA444
Even bullion coins are more 'sellable' if they look naturally clean (as opposed to cleaned with a polish). Bullion houses maybe are not quite so 'picky' but if you are selling to another person or a jewellry shop they definitely seem to prefer less tarnished examples.

If you are selling gold bullion then you are selling it at its scrap value, there is about as much point in polishing bullion as there is in polishing a car you are about to sell to the scrap dealers

If you are selling to a jeweller and he is being picky over the state of a gold bullion coin then the jeweller is either using it as a means to reduce the price that they will pay you or the coin that you think is bullion may have a value to a collector and you could most probably get more for it at a coin dealer.

If you have selling to a person that is mad enough to pay over the odds for gold bullion then please send them to me, I have lots of overpriced bullion I want to sell :lol:

HOLA445

Thanks for the replies guys, useful stuff.

I find capsules especially useful for silver (even bullion) because that tarnishes due to sulpher in the air.

I have some old commemorative coins (not valuable) which I think must have a thin coating of silver. They've not aged that well, even though they've rarely been viewed.