House Price Crash Forum

Measuring The Square Footage

HOLA441

Posted about a friends run in with a new build before, the apartment was to be 715 sq ft, he received the lease that said it was 680sq ft, now he has received a "modified " document to say it is 718sq ft.

They seem to include the balcony space in the footage.

Anyone know is this normal practice or are they pulling a fast one?

HOLA442
HOLA443

I think there are fairly strict rules in most countries about what goes into square footage - it should be living space only, excluding stairs, hallways etc. Not sure if bathrooms count.

Of course the UK probably has no regulations on this at all. They probably measure the outside dimensions of the building...

with an elastic tape measure.

Edited by rockdoctor

HOLA444

The developer should state what basis of measurement they are using, Net Internal or Gross External floor Area. The RICS Code of Measurement Practice advices the use of Net Internal floor area for flats, i.e. the actual floor area of the dwelling. In this case it depends on what the contract contains. I doubt that a balcony could be considered floor area even under the Gross External basis.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448