House Price Crash Forum

Decided To Rent For Now

_SUNDANCE

HOLA441

We have decided to rent for the foreseeable future. In terms of economics i think it makes sense to rent with house prices going to fall further. Moreover, in terms of our individual life circumstances it also makes sense. We have a little boy and the whole house buying thing was so stressful in terms of raised hopes and then disappointments. I am sure there will be a time when buying will be our preferred choice but its unlikley to be within the next year.

So happy at the moment in our new house ( albeit a rented house ). Our previous landlord give us notice to leave before christmass so with that backdrop negotaiting a house purchase was even more stressful. At times we felt we were in a real corner.

Moved into the new house 5 weeks ago - two days after seeing it advertised. We were even able to negotiate quite a reduction in the rental asking price on the basis that we would take up immediate tenancy.

A little surprised to see the house we had previously rented and wished to stay on in has now come back onto the market for rent - a month after we moved out. When we were given notice to leave after several years renting it it was because the landlord told us he had an offer to buy it from another party. This seemed strange as no one had ever viewed it. When we enquired we were told the offer was from a housing association but the deal could not be completed until we vacated as they would not complete with sitting tenants. We asked the price as buying this house may have been an option. We were told we could buy it if we matched the already agreed sale price but we had no decision to make when we were told the price. It was rateable value. This seemed a way over the top price as a house a few doors down in the same small development ( albeit a repossession but superior in terms of finish inside ) has come onto the market at rateable value minus 20% asking price and i expect it to sell at much less than its asking price.

I found it hard to believe that a housing assocation would pay so much over the odds and even more bizare that my ex landlord ( a local estate agent ) could be so out of touch to think they would.

At a lose to what was going on. I left this house 5 weeks ago with the landlord giving me a reference which stated i was the best tenant he ever had. I also received a full deposit back having left the house in very good condition. I even painted it a week before i left.

I was paying £530 rent per callendar month and would have agreed for the rent to be increased to in the region of £560 had i stayed on. I paid cash every month in the office and never missed a payment ever.

Now 5 weeks after i have left the house is being advertised for rent again at £500 per month, considerably less than i was paying. To boot even if the owner gets a new tenant soon he will have seen the property vacant for a time.

We loved the house, mostly as it had so many memories and would have loved to have continued renting at the very least but at a total loss to what went on with regard to my notice to leave, a sale that was apparently agreed and the house now being marketed for rent again at a much lower rental figure.

HOLA442