House Price Crash Forum

I've Bought A House!

Pauly_Boy

HOLA441

Well I completed on Friday, I think I paid 10-15% below peak but so little is coming up for sale generally and there are so few houses sold in the cul-de-sac so its tough to really know what it's 'worth'.

Anyway, its a 3 bed semi that needs completely redecorating but I've been searhcing for years and I felt now was the right time to jump. Althought I think prices will fall, I can't see the crash we all want and needs to happen happening, but I needed to move out of my parents at some point!

Anyway, a quick question.

Having never left home before, who do I need to let know that I've moved in there and how?

Council?

Gas/electricity (can I just speak to anyone, eg join british gas on their website?)

The phone also has a dial tone, I don't plan on using it at the moment so will it just be disconnected?

Thanks

HOLA442
HOLA443

Well done. I can't wait for the moment when I finally move out of my parents house! But for the time being I'm happy holding off watching my savings grow and watching the Market.

I'd also be interested to know the answers to your questions, how to get the services connected is something I thought about just today actually.

HOLA444

Well I completed on Friday, I think I paid 10-15% below peak but so little is coming up for sale generally and there are so few houses sold in the cul-de-sac so its tough to really know what it's 'worth'.

Anyway, its a 3 bed semi that needs completely redecorating but I've been searhcing for years and I felt now was the right time to jump. Althought I think prices will fall, I can't see the crash we all want and needs to happen happening, but I needed to move out of my parents at some point!

Having never left home before, who do I need to let know that I've moved in there and how?

Council?

Gas/electricity (can I just speak to anyone, eg join british gas on their website?)

The phone also has a dial tone, I don't plan on using it at the moment so will it just be disconnected?

Thanks

Congratulations!

The Estate agent should help you with a list of the people you need to notify plus addresses and phone numbers, in fact as part of the exchange process you could ask the vendor for details of all the utility companies who supply the house. It's pretty straight forward, you just call them and they'll arrange a meter reading on the day you move in. Don't forget water and sewerage who may be the same or separate companies. You'll also need to notify TV licensing/Sky/broadband etc. You should notify the phone company to relinquish the number and have the line terminated if you just plan on using a mobile, IMO the vendor should pay for this as you won't be taking the service over.

HOLA445

Council?

Thanks

Gas and electric are already connected, make sure that you have the readings from the completion date so that the bills are right when they come and you dont get stiffed for what the vendor used. When the bills come you can call them with the bill in your hand and give them your details then or you can do it now. The info pack from the solicitors should tell you who your providers are.

You will be better off staying with current providers for the time it takes to find the best provider for you rather than rushing into something that maybe costs you more.

The water bill will land on the mat when it is time so dont worry about that either.

TV license - your call.

Contact the local council to give them your details or wait until a bill lands on the mat, even if you forget they wont so no worries there either.

The phone may have a tone but will need reconnecting. You will have to call BT to sort it out, it can take upto 10 days I think. If the phone is still in use then dont use it before it is in your name and dont worry about any bills that come for the vendor.

Just worry about unpacking and getting sorted out, those that want money from you know where you are.

Edited by richyc

HOLA446

Gas and electric are already connected, make sure that you have the readings from the completion date so that the bills are right when they come and you dont get stiffed for what the vendor used. When the bills come you can call them with the bill in your hand and give them your details then or you can do it now. The info pack from the solicitors should tell you who your providers are.

You will be better off staying with current providers for the time it takes to find the best provider for you rather than rushing into something that maybe costs you more.

The water bill will land on the mat when it is time so dont worry about that either.

TV license - your call.

Contact the local council to give them your details or wait until a bill lands on the mat, even if you forget they wont so no worries there either.

The phone may have a tone but will need reconnecting. You will have to call BT to sort it out, it can take upto 10 days I think. If the phone is still in use then dont use it before it is in your name and dont worry about any bills that come for the vendor.

Just worry about unpacking and getting sorted out, those that want money from you know where you are.

There are checksheets on the net. Just google.

Do not forget your banks, mobile operator, car lease company or other leases, store cards including tescoclubcard (if in possession), annual memberships, professional bodies, your employer (if any), The electoral register if registered, and most important - Your Friends.

HOLA447

There are checksheets on the net. Just google.

Do not forget your banks, mobile operator, car lease company or other leases, store cards including tescoclubcard (if in possession), annual memberships, professional bodies, your employer (if any), The electoral register if registered, and most important - Your Friends.

yep, but seeing as he is moving from his parents and all of that mail presumably goes there then there is no rush to do any of the above like you would when moving from house to house.

There is no need to worry or rush about any of it.

The ONE THING that you do need to do is have the address changed on your driving license because that is an offence which will cause grief when you get pulled over.

HOLA448

The ONE THING that you do need to do is have the address changed on your driving license because that is an offence which will cause grief when you get pulled over.

Good point. And in a similar vein you should notify your insurance company and tell them not only about change of address but also about changes in circumstances such as road parking versus garage parking. If you have a mortgage the bank will have mandated property insurance, but you still need to think about contents insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I notified most people, TV licencing (Don't have a TV in there) and council can wait for a while I guess as I'm in the process of decorating it whilst it's empty. All I'll say is that decorating is more hardwork than I thought, not to mention all of the unexpected little things that you come across.

The stangest thing I found is gut wrenching telegram dated 1943 informing the previous owner that her husband has died and is now buried somewhere in Eygpt! I don't think she remarried afterwards :(