House Price Crash Forum

Would You Report Your Neighbour

HOLA441

A builder I ‘ve just spoken to, told me he has extended the height of his front garden wall. His neighbour reported him to the local planning office as it is about 6 inches above the regulations.

He is now in correspondence with them.

Do you think it’s our duty as citizens to report such digressions or do you believe in let and let live?

Or do you think that people who do report have some sort of hidden personal agenda?

Comments welcome

HOLA442

Bet the builder would've shopped his neighbour if they had done something

he didn't like!

A builder I ‘ve just spoken to, told me he has extended the height of his front garden wall.  His neighbour reported him to the local planning office as it is about 6 inches above the regulations.

He is now in correspondence with them.

Do you think it’s our duty as citizens to report such digressions or do you believe in let and let live? 

Or do you think that people who do report have some sort of hidden personal agenda?

Comments welcome

HOLA443
HOLA444

I see it as our duty as citizens to NOT report such things.

The authorities/government are the real threat to our freedoms (just look at what they've done with house prices) so the last thing we ought to do is start causing trouble for neighbours.

If they were messing about with explosives in the backyard then that's different of course. Likewise if they're doing DIY gas fitting or anything else which threatens your personal safety.

But in this case it's best to leave it IMO unless it's actually causing some real problems. Even then it's best to talk directly with them and leave the authorities out of it unless absolutely necessary. They might not even know what the rules are (and maybe didn't realise that there even are any rules about such things).

Councils can have some pretty dumb rules. Things like having to have the shed in the middle of the garden to keep it away from the fence. And others like telling me that I could use all the water I wanted on Thursday or Saturday but not on a Friday night when I wanted to water the garden to keep the weekly vandals away.

Try the peaceful approach first. :)