House Price Crash Forum

Dennistoun

south_side_sceptic

HOLA441
HOLA442

You get bang for your buck in Dennistoun, but the area has nothing that makes it aspirational. In this falling market, I'd be holding out for the same square footage in the Southside. You have to want in live in a sandstone tenement pretty badly to put up with Duke Street on a Saturday night. Having said all that, I've been away 3 years so maybe cafe culture has taken off in a big way and 'merchant city east' is in fact valid (rather than the worst ever description attempted by an EA in the history of EA'dom).

Edit: if you are not looking at a tenements then anything I said is pretty much redundant. Some quality big hooses about the D, the likes of which cost a packet elsewhere in the city.

Edited by hirop

HOLA443
You get bang for your buck in Dennistoun, but the area has nothing that makes it aspirational. In this falling market, I'd be holding out for the same square footage in the Southside. You have to want in live in a sandstone tenement pretty badly to put up with Duke Street on a Saturday night. Having said all that, I've been away 3 years so maybe cafe culture has taken off in a big way and 'merchant city east' is in fact valid (rather than the worst ever description attempted by an EA in the history of EA'dom).

Edit: if you are not looking at a tenements then anything I said is pretty much redundant. Some quality big hooses about the D, the likes of which cost a packet elsewhere in the city.

Thanks for the info. From people I've spoken to those who don't know the Dennistoun all go "Dennistoun? The East End? Why?" and those who do instantly recognise the street and are full of praise for the immediate area.

It's a big old chunk of tennement that I'm interested in. It also fits my criteria of needing done up. I went for a quick look round the immediate area at the weekend and my first impression was the streets near by were great, lovely buildings, well maintained, nice front gardens and a good quality of car sat outside. But, my overall impression of the Dennistoun as a whole is that there are nice pockets in amongst at best an average area.

I'm hopefully going to view the flat this week and if I can get comfortable there is a pub, decent cafe (I stopped at Coias and hear Tibo is good) and shops in walking distance then I may put in a cheeky bid.

HOLA444
Thanks for the info. From people I've spoken to those who don't know the Dennistoun all go "Dennistoun? The East End? Why?" and those who do instantly recognise the street and are full of praise for the immediate area.

It's a big old chunk of tennement that I'm interested in. It also fits my criteria of needing done up. I went for a quick look round the immediate area at the weekend and my first impression was the streets near by were great, lovely buildings, well maintained, nice front gardens and a good quality of car sat outside. But, my overall impression of the Dennistoun as a whole is that there are nice pockets in amongst at best an average area.

I'm hopefully going to view the flat this week and if I can get comfortable there is a pub, decent cafe (I stopped at Coias and hear Tibo is good) and shops in walking distance then I may put in a cheeky bid.

Tibo is a good cafe but coias is the most overrated place around. Just be very very careful of who your neighbours are in this area. Lots of good people that just want a quiet life but all it takes is one rat or their visiting relatives to spoil things. The best bits are probably north of duke st up towards alexandra parade. South of duke street can suffer a bit from the scum that live in the twin towers and are passing constantly en route to the pub/bookies or tanning shop. Overall a good area but you take the rough with the smooth and if the odd bottle fight or junkie running your close after midnight worries you then i would look elsewhere.

HOLA445

If anyone is interested this is the flat that really got my attention - link

They have had 5 notes of interest but no offer. Going to close. Having seen it I really like the flat but given peak for the street is £168k in June 08 (which I'd assume was in good condition) and this needs everything done (kitchen, bathroom, central heating installed, rewired) I can't see how paying anything round the £130k mark works.

HOLA446
If anyone is interested this is the flat that really got my attention - link

They have had 5 notes of interest but no offer. Going to close. Having seen it I really like the flat but given peak for the street is £168k in June 08 (which I'd assume was in good condition) and this needs everything done (kitchen, bathroom, central heating installed, rewired) I can't see how paying anything round the £130k mark works.

I've also been looking at a few places in Dennistoun but am a bit concerned by the description of things being a bit too rough and tumble for my tastes.

One question -- how can you locate info as to the peak for a given street??

HOLA447
I've also been looking at a few places in Dennistoun but am a bit concerned by the description of things being a bit too rough and tumble for my tastes.

One question -- how can you locate info as to the peak for a given street??

Go to www.nethouseprices.com mate. Be careful though that you are comparing like with like e.g. many streets in Glasgow have different types of flat on the same street and even in the same block a corner flat will be the most expensive.

Southside and West End are my preference. That said Dennistoun has some amazing properties and some really nice little pockets. The Merchants (from the nearby Merchant City) were the intended inhabitants and initally were. The building of factories changed the area and the middle classes headed West/South and out the city. The legacy is some fantastic flats and houses, while the area is (slowly) improving. The Commonwealth Games in 2012 can also only be a positive.

There endeth the history lecture. Don't write it off entirely though.

HOLA448
Go to www.nethouseprices.com mate. Be careful though that you are comparing like with like e.g. many streets in Glasgow have different types of flat on the same street and even in the same block a corner flat will be the most expensive.

Southside and West End are my preference. That said Dennistoun has some amazing properties and some really nice little pockets. The Merchants (from the nearby Merchant City) were the intended inhabitants and initally were. The building of factories changed the area and the middle classes headed West/South and out the city. The legacy is some fantastic flats and houses, while the area is (slowly) improving. The Commonwealth Games in 2012 can also only be a positive.

There endeth the history lecture. Don't write it off entirely though.

Many thanks for the info and the history lesson. All background is useful to an outsider at this stage!