House Price Crash Forum

Are Reposessions Bad Luck, Would You 'overstretch' In This Market, How Far Can I Haggle Down Before I'm In Lala Land.....

HOLA441
HOLA442
...and should I just put up with cruddy rentals with their falling apart furniture?

From a long-time bear

Fellow bear here. Also in "cruddy rental". Have seen v. nice 4 bed detached on market standing empty - presume it is a repo. However, I too am unsure of how far to haggle down. Am tempted to go in at a very low offer - nothing to lose. They can only say "No".

HOLA443
Fellow bear here. Also in "cruddy rental". Have seen v. nice 4 bed detached on market standing empty - presume it is a repo. However, I too am unsure of how far to haggle down. Am tempted to go in at a very low offer - nothing to lose. They can only say "No".

Yep and with repos you are dealing with a company not an oo so they wont get offended.

You get less info about repos and you have to put up with loads of red bills to the previous tenant for ages. You need to get the place surveyed to make sure they didnt bugger about with anything before they were kicked out and quite often you dont get a full set of keys etc. But apart from that go for it.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA444

Question???? New on market today a repo - very, very nice road - seems to be reasonably priced at 300K. Sold in 2002 for 320K - wants some work, but not tons. Already had an offer at asking price though they need a mortgage - I can go in cash, but it will clean me out......Do I go for it or not? I very, very rarely see something that 'grabs me' and this one does............... what do I do????????????

Option - try to buy house - will be skint - no mortgage & I have a very secure job (that I dont like)

Option - chuck job in , go abroad & play till this silly bounce is over & then look again

I am very, very fussy with what I want to buy & at what price

HOLA445
Question???? New on market today a repo - very, very nice road - seems to be reasonably priced at 300K. Sold in 2002 for 320K - wants some work, but not tons. Already had an offer at asking price though they need a mortgage - I can go in cash, but it will clean me out......Do I go for it or not? I very, very rarely see something that 'grabs me' and this one does............... what do I do????????????

Option - try to buy house - will be skint - no mortgage & I have a very secure job (that I dont like)

Option - chuck job in , go abroad & play till this silly bounce is over & then look again

I am very, very fussy with what I want to buy & at what price

Given inflationary uncertainties, the relative price, your pickiness etc., and the fact you have a stable job, I'd probably buy it and suffer my job for a couple of years whilst rebuilding my savings, then go and play abroad for a few years. Though you will have to accept that prices may (likely will) go down more.