House Price Crash Forum

Rental Advice Needed

Darxide

HOLA441

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice, as a first time renter?

Basically, I'm single, and living at home with the folks while saving for a house deposit. But I've decided I'm not gonna wait any longer.

Prices are still way too high, so screw it, I'm not gonna play that game. I'm happy to rent, and spend my spare cash on me.

So, I'm going to look at a bungalow on thursday in BT16, asking £500 p/m, and I do like it, and the area.

So, first thing, it's unfurnished. But a friend said they had to by law supply the major white appliances? Anyone know if thats true? Sounds bull to me.

Second, it's advertised as minimum 12 month lease. Should I ask for longer? And will that give me scope to ask for a rent reduction?

Third, How easy is it for the LL to terminate the lease, say if he decides to sell? (I'm looking long term here)..

Fourth, if there is more than me after it, how appealing would a single guy, good job, good credit history be to the LL?

I mean, are they likely to favour a young family or couple over me?

And what could I do or say to help my chances of getting it?

I would appreciate any advice.

HOLA442

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice, as a first time renter?

Basically, I'm single, and living at home with the folks while saving for a house deposit. But I've decided I'm not gonna wait any longer.

Prices are still way too high, so screw it, I'm not gonna play that game. I'm happy to rent, and spend my spare cash on me.

So, I'm going to look at a bungalow on thursday in BT16, asking £500 p/m, and I do like it, and the area.

So, first thing, it's unfurnished. But a friend said they had to by law supply the major white appliances? Anyone know if thats true? Sounds bull to me.

Second, it's advertised as minimum 12 month lease. Should I ask for longer? And will that give me scope to ask for a rent reduction?

Third, How easy is it for the LL to terminate the lease, say if he decides to sell? (I'm looking long term here)..

Fourth, if there is more than me after it, how appealing would a single guy, good job, good credit history be to the LL?

I mean, are they likely to favour a young family or couple over me?

And what could I do or say to help my chances of getting it?

I would appreciate any advice.

I'm sure they don't have to supply any appliances. I've rented various places for 12 years though and there has always been fridge,freezer and cooker. Things like washing machine, dishwasher may or may not be included.

You could ask for longer and the LL may like this (and perhaps give a small discount) but this ties you down if anything changes eg house purchase, new job, marriage, kids etc, etc.

If the LL wants to sell, he needs to give you at least 2 months notice after the initial 12 month period has passed (he can't do anything for the first 12 months)

Good job and credit history = likey, single male = not so good IMO. If you were happy to be tied to a longer contract, the LL might go for you as by advertising it as 12 month min sounds like they want longer term.

HOLA443

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

I understand why the LL may be weary of a single guy, but it's not like I'm a young party animal or anything, I'm 34.

I believe that I would make a perfect tenant, bu how do I convince the LL of that?

I don't have any pets, I don't drink, but I do smoke. Never indoors, but I will still have to declare it on the form. (Especially when I put down my employer, Gallaher LTD.)

Is that likely to put him off too?

Edited by Darxide

HOLA444

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

I understand why the LL may be weary of a single guy, but it's not like I'm a young party animal or anything, I'm 34.

I believe that I would make a perfect tenant, bu how do I convince the LL of that?

I don't have any pets, I don't drink, but I do smoke. Never indoors, but I will still have to declare it on the form. (Especially when I put down my employer, Gallaher LTD.)

Is that likely to put him off too?

I'm a smoker too but have never admitted it on the application form - if you smoke outside (as I do) then its non of their business as far as I'm concerned and even if you explained that you wouldn't smoke inside I think it would put them off.

HOLA445

Just yesterday I was informed that me and the missus had been accepted for a rental. I must admit I was more than happy to hear the news considering I had a large blip on my credit record a few years ago but that's another story. The fact that we are in our fifties with half decent jobs probably helped.

We found a decent enough detached house which is unfurnished but does include washing machine, cooker, fridge freezer, tumble dryer and microwave. I haven't rented for many years so not sure if this is the norm with unfurnished rentals.

I am also a smoker but didn't admit to it, as like NEO72 I don't consider it to be any of their business. I mean what next....

Do you walk about the house in your undercrackers whilst scratching your bum?

Do you drink 6 pints of Guinness and then have an Indian curry?

Do you have too much body hair?

Are you liable to have any naughty thoughts about Cheryl Cole at your age?

PLEASE... leave me alone. I am giving you a fair wedge of my hard earned cash in return for keeping your house warm and safe. I'll even cut that mangy grass you call a "lawn".

What also made me laugh was the fact that the landlord saw no problem allowing our 2 dogs (German Shepherd & Cairn Terrier) to also take up residency but has a problem with a puffer. Have you ever seen the mess a GS makes when you inadvertently give her some leftover curry for breakfast!!

Anway, Good Luck Darxide.

HOLA446

:-) Thanks!

I take your point, and decided not to admit to being a puffer!

I'm just a little worried because I have never rented before, so I don't have a reference to give.

But, I'll view the house tomorrow, and if I like it, I'll submit my application and see what happens.

I'll report back when I hear anything, thanks again for the advice.