Saturday, December 13, 2014

Spivs crash through Planning Policy

Streetwise builders fighting planning protections to build in two thirds of rural areas, says NT

"Two thirds of councils in large rural areas are having their planning protections challenged by “streetwise” house builders who are “gaming” the system, according to new research from the National Trust". "Miss Samuel accused David Cameron, the Prime Minister, of going back on his word in 2011 that local people’s views would be respected" (its called Crony Capitalism, my dear).

Posted by alan @ 03:59 PM (5153 views)

8 thoughts on “Spivs crash through Planning Policy

• Have I mistakenly stumbled onto a NIMBY campaign blog?

• Great news that planning protection is being challenged. Nature will benefit since farmland is a barren wasteland to wildlife and even the selfish NIMBY will benefit as more people in the area will lead to improved services.

Is UKIP the last party left for the politically isolated NIMBY?

• Plenty of commenters here have mentioned that PP rejections can now be appealed at Central govt. and tend to get approved when they do.

Good of the NT to put together this report. Really gets to the heatheart of an important issue affecting middle Englanders at the edge of urban areas who’d rather see young people homeless than witness development, economic progress or the kind of urban appealsprawl that led to their own homes being built in the first place.

• stillthinking says:

@reticent,
    does this include change of use applications? (for the successful appeals)

• No idea, I’m just parroting what I’ve read other people say here before everyone started talking down construction because they decided they hatred Flashman more than they loved low house prices.

I have heard from developer acquaintances that it is much easier to get change of use nowadays. But i would doubt that it’s a done deal on appeal.

• Converting office space is now much easier than it was, so much so that many schemes go through under permitted development rights. If they go to appeal, planners have a hard time making a case for the retention of unused, decaying office space caused by companies relocating to out of town locations.

In places like Bristol it is estimated that almost a quarter of their office space is undergoing conversion during this year alone. There are another 20 big planning applications in the pipeline. Bristol is a relatively small city, so extrapolate these numbers upwards and it becomes clear why we constantly see articles about labour shortages and increasing construction wages.

Anyway, I only came out of my recent hpc retirement for one last burst because it occurred to me that many people here had no idea what was going on with construction. It’s weird but nearly all new information here is met with the same anger, irrationality and denial. it was the same when I pointed out that a recovery was starting to form and also when I started to highlight the increase in population ( it was almost surreal when people tried to deny that). Now the same people who recently angrily denied a housing shortage are busy saying that there is a shortage and that there always will be. The ‘ostrich club’ are always inially fact resistant but they inevitably come around a few months down the line. Soon, the people who denied that more construction is taking place will be quoting the increased construction to argue that house prices cannot go on rising. For once they’ll be right.

I love having breakfast at this time. I’m in a city centre cafe looking at a giant crane that for the last few weeks has been swinging into action at first light. An amazing number of people are already assembling for work and the cafe is getting busy. People definitely work harder than they used to and being at the centre of things gives a good perspective of what will get reported 6 months down the line. There is a big buzz going on in this city.

• stillthinking says:

I see a surprising amount of construction also, but it seems like just more office blocks even though there are so many empty ones around.

• Yep, commercial construction is also up. Companies have different needs so its quite neat that the stuff they leave behind is getting converted. Building was only a hobby for me that got much bigger than I meant it to. I built four houses in the building recession but that’s it for me now. There is nothing harder than managing builders who can get a higher paid gig just by saying yes to his many offers taken whilst on your clock. In the (building) recession I was knocking up a 5 bed house in 3 months flat. It would take me 3 months just to book someone now. These new govt sponsored mass schemes will make it even harder. Farage would do his nut if he saw how many foreigners are flooding in. The Spanish and Portuguese etc knew about our construction boom long before hpc members twigged.