Monday, December 15, 2014

Cameron loosing confidence in outright Tory win for 2015

First-time buyers under 40 to be offered 20% discount on 100,000 new homes starting next month

David Cameron will today announce that the 'Starter Home' initiative will be fast-tracked so potential buyers can register as early as January. Under the scheme, 100,000 houses will be built on so-called 'brownfield' land and reserved for sale only to young people buying their first homes.

Posted by hpwatcher @ 02:38 PM (4392 views)

23 thoughts on “Cameron loosing confidence in outright Tory win for 2015

• I doubt whether anything will ever be built. It’s just something the Tories see as a positive announcement before 2015.

• 1.How do they choose which of the millions of applicants win this handout?
    2.Would a successful applicant be allowed to rent theirs out if they had a baby or had to move for a job?
    3.What penalties for black market renting?
    Would have been much better to give a developer the land, build to rent, and the council gets the rent less amortised build costs, maintenance and a normal profit, not the millions of pounds magicked up by a signature on a piece of paper…

• “The savings would then be passed on to first time buyers.”
    How will this be enforced? Just like the stamp duty changes, expect prices to adjust to let the developer trouser the same amount.

• It’s just an announcement… Very few will get a cheap(er) house and those that do will be living in newly build substandard rpoperty that the developers could not sell for the asking price on the open market.

You can’t have cheap housing whilst people can just rent it out as the property, just like council housing will find it’s way to private landlords and then your back to square one.

• Its a racing certainty that this will happen because it’s a win win for all three counterparts ( builders, buyers and the government). The government and builders have been working on this for some time and several sites are already approved. Here’s how it’ll work:

An independent panel of surveyors will value the houses and the price will be set at least 20% lower.

People will be invited to register and the houses will be built where there is most demand.

The houses cannot be sold at market rates for 5 to 15 years

If people need to sell, their discount will be reduced on a sliding scale depending on length of stay. The house has to be sold to someone else on the list for a 20% discount on current value.

Councils will have little say in granting permission. They can only stop identified sites if they can conclusively prove danger that cannot be mitigated

The designs will be provided by award winning architects and will be close to zero emission and up to the new guide line standards for space set by the institute of architects.

Every major builder has signed up to the scheme and are currently scouring the country for more sites. 100000 is an arbitrary number. Its only limited by the number of applicants and there has already been a stampede. The builders are very unlikely to be refused permission and are very keen because they make exactly the same profit as normal but with an immediate guaranteed sale on completion ( enquiries are already off the chart). It is not practically possible for them to make more profit than normal because they have to sell 20% below independently valued market rate.

The savings come from the government in the form of cheap land, easy permissions and waived taxes and levies. Its classic land assembly suggested by Shelter.

• @6 all your questions are answered @5 my little council corruption sleuth

“All we need now is a rosy poster who supports the sleazy Coalition to say how nice Dave Cameron is…..”

But sadly all we’re likely to get is a woofing loon with a brain the size of a pea.

• C’mon flashman,

That was a little unfair! The article did not give the information I commented about. The DM journo may have known it, but maybe didn’t think it worth of mention, so my comments were valid. You posted as I was typing.

I’m not a “woofing loon”, just an ordinary guy.

• Feel sorry for first time buyers who have just spent 10 years saving while someone how couldn’t be arsed gets a free £40k. Tbh though right to buy gives one section of society free money.

• good one debtserf, I miss the inbetweeners.

• alan, I’m afraid it’s entirely fair. You know quite well that I was responding to your gratuitously snide comment at the end of your post. If you don’t want to be treated like that then don’t behave like it and don’t whine when you get something back. At least you did it under your long term name . I’m afraid our little friend has suited himself up in yet another identity. The other bloke who does it at least takes the trouble to create slightly different personalities.

• Anyway, on the off chance that anyone actually wants to know how it’ll work, I’ve explained it @5. If I was a potential first time buyer I’d be chomping at the bit to get this deal. It can even be combined with htb. I’m told that since the announcement there’s been a Black Friday type swarm of interest.

One thing I didn’t mention @5 is that despite the press headlines, it’s not really meant for people under 40. My understanding is that it’ll be aimed at people under 35 with exceptions for ex army and the like.

• Flashman,
    I have only one personality. I don’t post under several names. I’m not quite sure about the second half of your post, it’s far too cryptic. I just don’t get the nuances.

I was surprised by your knowledge of the subject of the DM article. It puts you ahead of most political types who don’t have access to the supporting information on the “election gambit” speeches. As you point out, I show a distrust of those in Westminster hence my dig at Dave and his supporters. If you wish to identify yourself as a Cameron supporter or agent, fair enough. It won’t make you “bad” or “wrong”. I’ve met an honest, hardworking Conservative MP, they are not all bad.

Russell Brand sums up the cynical attitude of many towards politicians. If you are involved in politics, then please understand the message he is trying to deliver.

• OK alan, we’ll pretend your ‘rosy poster’ comment doesn’t exist and that this thread hasn’t just become about three fellows still smarting from embarrassing themselves on the Shelter thread.

Regarding your political references, I would say that the difference here is that it never occurred to me to think about which party was involved. I just see more houses being built. Truth be told I have a distaste for people who express positive or negative partisan comments like your Tory references. If I’m forced to think about people like that, I would say that they’re actually worse than the politicians. We wouldnt have such crap politicians if we didnt have voters who cant see the issue beyond their bias. Fortunately most young people don’t seem to have the sort of puerile anti Tory or Labour sentiment exhibited here. We might eventually get better politicians as a result.

Knowledge is treated very strangely by some on this blog. During the last administration I was twice accused of being a senior member of the Labour party because ‘he be knowing stuff’ (thick west country accent needed here). Now of course your inference is that I must be a Tory party insider to know stuff about the scheme. Im pretty sure than anyone with an IQ above 90 could see from my posts that I’m neither Labour nor Tory and that my suspicious ‘knowing of stuff’ actually comes from an interest and involvement in the topic at handcan’t’s a sad thing about this blog that people often have no interest in a topic beyond slagging something or other off from a basis of complete ignorance. We see that here and on the Shelter thread where people even tore into a housing charity. Another strange treatment of knowledge on this blog is where people frequently become incensed when hard evidence is presented that contradicts an uninformed view that they’ve become wedded to. I personally cant understand how a viewpoint can survive once its contradicted by facts but many here aren’t that flexible. “Knowing stuff” is usually chargeable in the real world but here its often an inconvenience.

Houses will get built under this scheme and the young buyers will feel like they’ve won the lottery. If there’s a change of administration it’ll still go ahead. You can the go back to calling me a Labour insider when I inconveniently explain the scheme amongst a sea of bitter ill informed views

• What will happen if the Tories lose the general election, or are returned as a smaller part of another coalition?

These plans will simply be lost.

It’s all about making an announcement.

• Good question hpw. They’ll actually continue because the signed contracts involved will take us through to 2017/18. Beyond 2017 there is no particular reason this thing shouldn’t continue because it is aligned with the stated building policies of the big three. This is one of the few policies where you couldn’t tell which party was responsible if you first heard about it on a desert island.

Imagine how pi**ed off you’d be if you were a btl landlord around the corner from one of these developments. A loss of both potential victims and capital value. Delicious.

Depends on the priorities I think. Will it get as far as signed contracts, or will it just be details registered on a government computer? Governments are very good at doing u-turns…if nothing else.

• They are already done for four sites and there are several more that will easily make it ( get signed) before the next term

They can still bail out, or simply halt the process. After the next election, anything can happen.

• Not possible.

• Not possible.

Hhahaahahah governments tend to make up the rules as they go along; shocking I know.

• What the F i’m 45 and she’s 49.
    Stuck in renting then, I’ve only been out of work for 2 weeks since I was 12 yrs old. OK didn’t pay tax until 18 yrs old.
    I’m going shove my MPs head up their A, they all got BTL’s I suspect. Can I speak to someone who is not invested and selfish.

• How about instead of giving 40 grand or so to 100,000 under 40’s and giving the unsuccessful lottery entrants nothing, they take the magic money and simply divide it evenly amongst the population? It’s easy to do this, you simply earmark the rents above construction, maintenance and normal profit for the public purse. Most of these houses are going to be rented out within 10 years anyway. I’d rather pay rent to the government than a landlord or bank.

• Well, well, well. There is some life left in the old blog after all.