Thursday, August 21, 2014

The clue to the bubble is in the ownership

London among Europe’s least ‘liveable’ cities, according to index

London has become a haven for money from around the world, with at least £122bn of UK property now held by offshore companies. [...] Despite this huge demand from international buyers, London is a less attractive place to live than Detroit or Reykjavik, the EIU researchers found.

Posted by sneaker @ 08:57 AM (5536 views)

7 thoughts on “The clue to the bubble is in the ownership

• Detroit is more liveable if you have firearms to deal with all the crime (Their police budget is shot), and if you earn money from outside Detroit (Because it doesn’t have any jobs), that Detroit City Council went bancrupt recently may have represented a turning point but if you listen to ANY “research” claiming Detroit is better to live in than London, well, I have some tropical Michigan seafront property to sell you. Can even throw in a trans-atlantic bridge.

• Libby, surely in one of your recent posts you celebrated the idea of wider gun ownership and went on to ‘poo-poo’ the widely reported problems with gun ownership in the US. Have you reconsidered?

• London is a dump. Why anyone wants to live there is beyond me.

• The characters who buy properties there and leave them empty seem to think the same!

• It’s a dangerous dump. Nice to occasionally visit, but I would not want to live there…

• Iguana, I am completely pro gun-ownership. What I don’t want to live in is a post-industrial mad Max scenario where I have to cling onto my gun for survival because of a collapsed society.

• So I guess what the article is saying that London has become less liveable because the 1% have not been effective in suppressing the unrest of the 99%. No worries, I’m sure it will go up again in the rankings soon.