Monday, September 9, 2013

What kind of UK emerge from the recession?

Thousands of jobs are being created each year by luring new businesses to Greater Manchester

3000 jobs from inward investment in a recession year is not too shabby. These are good quality skilled jobs. This kind of thing probably doesn't make it out of the local press (bad news sells better, yet another unproductive-dinosaur factory closing etc). I suspect other cities, especially Oxford and Cambridge could boast the same or better since their names alone are global brands attractive to R&D companies, see for example Cambridge Science Park or Oxford AHSN partners and affiliates to see the global companies I mean.

Posted by mountain goat @ 04:57 PM (2615 views)

7 thoughts on “What kind of UK emerge from the recession?

• I’d be very interested in finding out where the money is coming from.

• Stats about inwards jobs is irrelevant when taken without outwards jobs. I wan’t to hear the net flows.

• Libertas, this post is about trying to forecast future trends.

• Mountain Goat,

It’s good to hear you are alive and well! I recall from a long time ago you were short the FTSE. What did you end up doing with that? I ask as someone who got buried more than once on the short side over the past 3 years.

• Thanks Bellwether. I have started reading this site again, perversely after having bought a house! Although it’s a bit scary posting here if you have anything bullish to say (don’t know how Flashman copes). Despite buying I really hope there won’t be more HP rises. Perhaps some sort of economic recovery can normalise IR and dampen any bubble? I think that is where people should be looking instead of some Armageddon squeeze on debt. I posted this article as a sign that the UK can develop further into an economy of well trained skilled workers supplying the brains (engineering, design, IT, invention etc) to industry whose brawn is focused somewhere else in the world. In this respect I don’t know if anyone saw the BBC article on world university rankings Six of world’s top 20 universities are in UK and further down the rankings many more UK universities?

How are you Bellwether? As to your question. Shorts got stopped out as most bears did I expect. I don’t actively trade anymore, have to focus more on family (2 little ones) and my day job which became more demanding a few years ago. Foolish thinking you can out-guess professional traders when you don’t have the time and commitment required.

• MG,

I’m well thanks. Like you the demands of family and work have me spending my time more productively, and enjoying that. Still trade a little bit, and do better for spending little time on it, and so only getting involved when a very obvious opportunity arises e.g. plunge in Tesco stock about a year ago. Still get tempted to short things now and again – notwithstanding a disastrous strategy in a bull market.

Also thinking of buying a house soon, although wary of interest rates which seem likely to pop soon. I remain rather jaundiced about the type of recovery we are fostering. To what extent are we focusing energy unproductively in ramping up already extended housing stock values? Clearly there are however positives, all too often missed on here.

• Libertas, that is related to my title. In a recession jobs are lost, many never to return. But clearly some jobs are coming in as well so what we will be left with is a change to the country’s job market.