Friday, November 9, 2012

Shut up and Keep your hands off our land! Its the Only Way

Chigwell residents continue their fight over Local Plan houses at Epping Forest District Council meeting

Actually i noticed this when driving through Chigwell the other day - the "Vote Conservative" plaques have been replaced by "Hands off Chigwell" - subtle! please vote for the following reasons for the vehement opposition to 1,250 new homes being built: 1. There are not enough schools and facilities here (at least not enough public ones!). 2. We dont want to use the green belt - our trees and grren open spaces will be destroyed - think of the children 3. Our houses prices may fall, Mark W - I dont know much of the background of this - since you are in the area too - do you know?

Posted by techieman @ 12:02 PM (2543 views)

11 thoughts on “Shut up and Keep your hands off our land! Its the Only Way

• mark wadsworth says:

Techie, as it happens, we drove through there yesterday evening and when I saw one of their NIMBY signs saying “No to 1,250 new homes” I went into my usual rant and explained to nearest and dearest that when I am Housing Minister, I will invite these NIMBYs up to Whitehall and ask them whether they want more homes in their area.

When they tell me “No” I will reply “Good, because the demolition team have just started razing your houses as we speak. That will take pressure off local services and reinstate the hallowed green belt which we need for food security.”

My wife exacerbated things by claiming that the population of Greater London keeps increasing, to which I replied, as a matter of fact, the population of Greater London has been pretty stable (between 6.5 and 8 million) since the early 20th century. “Well that’s not what the papers say” she countered which merely worsened my mood.

• Mark – she obviously beat me to it on the wind up stakes!

Women are so much better at these things – its part of the gender difference to be embraced and aspired too by the weaker sex ;).

BTW – its obviously West Essex Guardian (well it used to be called that) – rather than East. Geography never my strong suit – thank god for Tom Tom.

• mark wadsworth says:

Techie, also as background, as you can espy from Google maps etc, Chigwell is a railway suburb at the very edge of the London conurbation, it is surrounded on three sides by fields/farms stretching all the way to Southend-on-Sea.

• Mark – I used to live there so i am familiar :). Actually did the longest paper round in the world as a kid!

I remember going all the way past rolls park to deliver the papers – i picked the papers up from Chigwell station paper shop in that parade, and the paper round didnt start until chigwell village (past the kings head). All week and for (and i will never forget this) £2.47 and a half (i think the half was taking the p*ss but what can you say when you are 12!).

• mark wadsworth says:

In that case you know the area far better than I do 🙂

• i dont agree with cutting forests down, i think we should take away the huge landbank tescos has to build houses on

• I’m all for building more affordable housing, but you really have to question the logic of building a giant council estate, in the middle of one of the premium places to live in the country outside of central London.

Call it classism if you like, but can we try to at least keep some nice area’s intact…

My friends bought houses on new developments a mile either side of chigwell, and their 350-400 k town houses are among council tenants who treat the developments like warzones. Arguements in the street, driving through my friend’s garden to get to where they wanted in their car’s, litter everywhere, and break in’s.

I really can’t blame people with 600k – 5m pound houses, not wanting to be invaded by single mums and crack addicts.

• Very strange, is everyone on hpc from the same area? Roding Valley pre M11 anyone …

• mken – i remember the airfield where David Lloyd is in Chigwell before it was also disected by the M11 – hours of fun either driving round it or exploring the musty shelters (think i found a couple of WW2 Gas masks). Remember that ?

• Perhaps FTBs should open local chapters and get 30 people out in support (and to get petition support) for developments, everytime NIMBYs protest. (Although the issue of brownfield sites mentioned does make sense.)

• Perhaps FTBs should have local chapters of their own. Each time these lobby groups oppose developments, 30 FTBs get together and make the opposite point (and get petitions signed). (That is not to say that they may have a point regarding brownfield sites.)