Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hallowed homeowners deprived of unearned housing wealth by ASBO

Village 'tarred' by ASBO order

"Residents of Silverton, Devon have attacked an ASBO order slapped on half their village's streets claiming it will hit property prices and trade." Where do I go to get an ASBO slapped on my neighbourhood? My lease is coming up in June and would be delighted if it went down.

Posted by mombers @ 11:35 AM (1326 views)

6 thoughts on “Hallowed homeowners deprived of unearned housing wealth by ASBO

• Typical small village in the middle of nowhere.

Why do the PTB. insist on such a high population densities then wonder why there is anti social behaviour?

View Larger Map

• Funny, the homeowners don’t seem to be complaining about the lovely free roads, police force, etc that give their pads the value in the first place…

• mark wadsworth says:

Mombers, the Home-Owner-Ist schizophrenia never ceases to amaze me.

They accept that it’s all about Location Location Location and that actions of third parties, the government, society in general are what determines land values (in the positive as much as in the negative) , but if you explain that all location rental values are in fact generated (in the positive as much as in the negative – the rental value is all the positives minus all the negatives) by society in general and are unearned from the point of view of the land ‘owner’ they go completely mental and start shouting “It’s moi laaarnd and Oi’ve poid for it!”

• Yup MW, they’ve paid for it. Pity they didn’t pay anyone who actually created the value. It’s like a bunch of pirates operating a toll gate at the entrance to an NHS hospital. Sort of.

• Bristol_gas_head says:

had a look on streetview, looks rough to me i think i best stay in my overpriced flat in st pauls !!!!!!!!!!

• Interesting read. I lived in Silverton until about two years ago when a change of job forced a move but I still have friends there and go back for occasional weekends. There has always been a small element of troublesome teenagers there, as with any village. They usually grow out of it. I was surprised it’s reached the point where the anti-social behaviour laws are being used in this way. It strikes me as this has come in because of an over-reaction by a few.
    I have some sympathy with the residents’ views that councils shouldn’t ship troublesome families from one neighbourhood to another, in the hope they will calm down – it rarely works out, they seem to trouble wherever they go and towns are usually better policed and equipped to deal with trouble on the streets.
    One thing I do remember from my time there, it wasn’t just incomers who caused trouble. There were villagers too who vandalised road signs; ripped off other signs warning that dogs were prohibited in the park, due largely to irresponsible owners allowing their mutts to crap everywhere, particularly on the football pitch. Then there were the one’s who never worked but thought the world owed them a living; those who claimed unemployment or disability benefits yet did ‘odd jobs”; those who did cash in hand jobs to evade tax; those who thought parking on double-yellow lines was okay for them but no one else – a microcosm of anywhere else, I suspect.
    I read in my local paper just the other week how a man from Silverton (who I know, is a home owner and has lived there all his life and works occasionally for Alan and Jayne at the Lamb Inn), was jailed for three months from running over an elderly woman’s head – so I guess there are degrees of wrongdoing – http://www.dartmouth-today.co.uk/news.cfm?id=7161&headline=%27Meat%20van%20crushed%20my%20face%27