Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Get your renter’s hands off our land!

Hands Off Our Land: stop this planning free-for-all, National Trust warns

David Cameron must not use the “smokescreen” of a planning “free-for-all” as a substitute for a proper strategy to boost the economy, the director-general of the National Trust has warned.

Posted by mombers @ 02:15 PM (1495 views)

7 thoughts on “Get your renter’s hands off our land!

• mark wadsworth says:

The eternal mantra of the Home-Owner-Ists: “What’s yours is mine and what’s mine is my own!”

• I’m hearing your mantras so much MW that I’m beginning to support the Home-Owner-Ists but with a Yorkshire twist:

“What’s thine’s mine, what’s mine’s my own!

• “Dame Fiona Reynolds argues that other countries that have embarked on radical deregulation of the planning system, such as Ireland, Greece and Spain, have been plagued by economic crises.”

I particularly like how she blames lax planning laws in other countries for the credit crunch. Nothing to do with ridiculously low interest rates set by a German-focused European central bank. And the fact that those countries had lax planning in the 1980s and 1990s, without leading to a crisis, is completely irrelevant of course.

In fact Britain would clearly be in a much better state if we knocked down all those horrible new buildings (anything built since the start of the industrial revolution) and returned all the land to pleasant green fields. She might as well have said:

“The National Trust is looking forward to converting Britain into a country primarily agricultural and pastoral in its character.”

Ten points for anybody who can identify the original quote.

• @3 drewster —

Oh yes! I know who that was — Churchill on Germany — Morgenthau_Plan

(I did cheat — Google is my friend — although I trust them about as far as I can throw them, which is not far.)

[Opps. Shouldn’t have said that]

• I think that they should stop everybody from living in the country.
    Think what we’d save in terms of subsidies 🙂

• MW “What’s yours is mine and what’s mine is my own!”

that sounds like someones wife

• Mark, true, Home-Owner-Ism is very girly and based on a misplaced sense of entitlement, i.e. they’ll have the land, thank you very much, and they’d like a large chunk of everybody else’s income as well via the tax system. A bit like division of assets after a divorce.