Thursday, November 24, 2011

Add that to 110 mothercare stores lot of empty space

Sir Philip to close 250 Arcadia stores

Sir Philip Green, the owner of Arcadia, has announced plans to close 260 loss making stores - pushing the Topshop to Bhs owner into the red as the retail group made a £250m provision to cover the closures.

Posted by mark @ 11:48 AM (1935 views)

24 thoughts on “Add that to 110 mothercare stores lot of empty space

• general congreve says:

So plenty of firm closures and downsizing, and all the lost jobs that go with it, but still no HPC!

• GC

time to put a sandwich board on “The crash is nigh”

• mark wadsworth says:

Sad.

• MW do you shop there?

• mark wadsworth says:

No I don’t. But I don’t know all the group companies off by heart.

• ok

never been in arcadia is it middle income?

• mark wadsworth says:

Mark, I don’t do shopping, full stop. I can tell which my favourite supermarket is (Sainsbury’s Low Hall) and where I buy CDs (usually HMV as it’s near where I work) and that is the end of it. I have no idea whether Top Shop is up market, mid market or tat for chavs.

• mark wadsworth (Thursday, November 24, 2011 01:47PM) – CD’s from HMV – so it’s you who’s keeping them afloat !

On a more serious note can u comment under Mark’s Lancashire Evening Post article from yesterday please.

• mark wadsworth says:

Jack C, if truth be told, I’ve bought all the good CDs I’ll ever need, plus a few rubbish ones like Shanie Twain greatest hits, so nowadays I just buy the NOW! albums which are released three times a year. So it’s not me keeping them going.

• MW – I’ve reported your above post in a desperate effort to save your credibility (LOL)

• Must need a tax break or subsiby or in order to continue the success of his enterprises.

• it is sad – the continued death of the high street.

• it is even sadder to see supermarkets taking over the UK based on pure greed not need

• mark wadsworth says:

Jack C, I buy the NOW! albums for research purposes only.

• MW – regarding your point under another thread check out http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2011/11/17/515-jobs-lost-at-alcan-s-lynemouth-smelter-61634-29791937/

Extract –

Rio Tinto Alcan said it wants to close the Lynemouth smelter in Northumberland due to spiralling energy costs and last night there was strong criticism of the “green taxes” said to have contributed to the plant’s closure.

Jacynthe Côté, chief executive of Rio Tinto Alcan, said yesterday: “This decision follows a thorough strategic review which explored every possible option for continuing to operate the smelter and power station.

“However, it is clear the smelter is no longer a sustainable business because its energy costs are increasing significantly, due largely to emerging legislation.”

• mark wadsworth says:

Jack, I’ve read article after article about this carbon pricing and carbon caps and so on, for sure, the smelters will do special pleading but I can’t help but completely agree with them that this is all insane.

• MW – yep and of course you then get this sort of thing

“Emerald Knight is proud to offer investors an exclusive opportunity to purchase carbon credits direct from a prestigious project in the Amazon that will be sold to the offset market during a 12-month period to generate investors a fixed 30% return on investment”

• I heard MW buys Liza Minnelli Cds from HMV too

lol

• mark wadsworth says:

Jack, yes, that’s the sort of thing I mean, it’s sickening.

Mark, who or what is Liza Minelli?

• no idea just got an email telling me to post that

lol

• Perhaps his missus could give back some of her dividend for last fiscal year and give those stores and those employed within a chance of seeing a brighter future:0)

• Max Keiser predicted this shortly after Philip Green bunged a billion quid in his wifes Monaco account.

• I worked for Arcadia until quite recently. Most of their stores aimed at the male market have been making a loss for a long time to say nothing of the way the shoddy way the rest of the company is ran – it was like working for the council

• Phillip Green, supermarkets eating into every area of provision and every small town, legislation passed mainly to eliminate the alternatives and ensure the success of the party sponsors…all part of the same problem. It’s democracy, innit. Can’t be fixed by tinkering with the existing order I’m afraid. When this is done the price of a house will be the least of our worries, I fear.