Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sainsbury’s to create 50,000 jobs

Supermarket giant Sainsbury’s is aiming to create 50,000 jobs by 2020, double the amount of British food it sells and massively increase fairly traded products under a new £1 billion sustainability plan

Posted by mark @ 10:59 AM (1490 views)

10 thoughts on “All is good now more low paid supermarket jobs to compensate for high unemployment

• I worked in Somerfields back in 98′ on the chilled foods / Dairy department and in 2003 worked collecting trolleys for ASDA.

I can now say that pushing those trolleys around was the best stress free job I ever had.

• Khards was it well paid enough to buy a house with?

• Nope, barely enough to feed and cloth myself whilst at college and Uni.

• i wonder how many people work in the UK supermarket industry

• they dont care about the customer only their bottom line and how little tax they can pay

imagine how many people will become unemployed when tescos starts to do what is has done in the usa

all self serve automated tills with a few limited staff for security and behind scenes

automated shelf stocking in a couple of test stores

if tescos employ 300,000 in the UK and they got rid of 90% of till staff nice jump in unemployment figures

• I seem to be shoppping more and more at Booker and Aldi.

Just bought myself a vacuum packer so that I can buy large packs of fresh/frozen food (like cheese) and split it into smaller lots for storage.

Found a loop hole in Tesco’s offers the other day, not sure if they fixed it jet but worth a try.

Buy 2 get the 3rd free = Buy 6 get them 1/2 price.

So I buy six and the till does this:

6 – 2 free = 4
    then 4 – 1 free = 3

So you only pay for 3 and it works out 1/2 price…

I bought a years supply of T-gel which is never on offer.

• No surprise there…they are 25% dearer than my local supermarket, yet they are busy. I guess some people are still living well.

• Supermarkets are bad, right? They provide the same goods as your old corner store, only with fewer staff. That must mean more unemployment, right?

Amazon are bad too. I preferred the good old days when I had to spend £20 on a DVD at Virgin Megastore; now I only pay £10 for the exact same thing and I hate it! I miss the friendly knowledgeable staff who sold authentic local Hollywood films, not like those impersonal mass-produced Hollywood films that I’m now forced to buy at Amazon. They don’t stock any niche films at all, unlike my local Virgin Megastore who had an entire floor devoted to black-and-white French classics. Tens of thousands of Virgin employees joined the ranks of the unemployed, not to mention shop cleaners, shop fitters, etc; whereas Amazon only created a few hundred jobs stuffing envelopes.

Of course this is all actually good. Instead of thirty people selling food at various corner shops, only twenty people are employed at Tesco’s and the other ten can find jobs at the cinema next door. Instead of spending £30 on food, I can spend £20 on food and the other £10 at the cinema next door. Before I only got food; now for the same money I can get both food and a cinema ticket. It’s a win-win.

Lower prices are good.

• drewster not exactly

farmers lose out, in fact supermarkets have driven many into the ground, yes they employ less staff and offer many goods, what they don’t offer are any slightly more unusual goods, very few local goods, they often charge more than your local shop but disguise this with clever marketing, they add nitrates and water to a lot of meats to reduce price to public example sainsbury fresh chicken sometimes states marinated to add extra moisture what this means it pumped full of salty water to make the chicken look plumper

your local farm shop will offer better food for a lower price

did you know if you ate tomatoes in the during the 1940’s,50’s they contained a lot more nutriments than they do now therefore you could eat less and gain more, why because supermarkets own farms which force the food with artificial conditions and huge amounts of water