Sunday, August 28, 2011

“High house prices not necessarily a Good Thing” shocker

Israeli activists squat empty buildings to protest over costly housing

Social justice activists have embarked on a series of lightning squats of unoccupied buildings as part of a six-week protest against rising rents and house prices in Israel. The protesters, who aim to "inspire a national squatting movement", unveiled Jerusalem's first "People's House" on Saturday night, occupying an abandoned state-owned building close to prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu's official residence. "We want those people who own apartments in Israel but only come to the country for two weeks a year to feel that if they leave their apartment empty, it'll be squatted, and so it's in everyone's interest if they rent them out instead."

Posted by little professor @ 04:07 PM (1563 views)

13 thoughts on ““High house prices not necessarily a Good Thing” shocker

• mark wadsworth says:

Top people, those young Israelis, I’ve always said so.

• @mw – care to expand on that? I have no opinion either way but can’t work out if there is sarcasm in your comment or not. Either way I’m interested on your thoughts

• general congreve says:

I hear the Israeli’s are very professional squatters.

• paranoia blue says:

and squashers!

• GC – just saw that, very funny. It took me a couple of seconds 🙂

• I don’t want to sound anti Jewish, but didn’t they chase out all these Palestine guys, so they can build enough apartments? And they still don’t have affordable houses? And they too have BTL? I mean the absurdity of this. I can make a whole hour stand up show just making jokes out of this.

• general congreve says:

@6 – Oooooh, you anti-semite you! Wouldn’t surprise me if you’re a holocaust denier too!

Have to say I’m very happy about the Arab Spring and hope that true democracy flourishes throughout the Middle East. Then it’ll be impossible for the Pot to hide behind the accusation that its neighbouring Kettles are are black.

• @ Peter @6
    I think it’s good to keep in mind a distinction between criticism of Israel and criticism of Jews. The former is a state the actions (and sometimes legitimacy) of which are criticised by Jews amongst others. E.g. Ilan Pappe is a Jewish historian who sets out documentary evidence that Israel was born of ethnic cleansing by Zionist militias in 1948. He’s not anti-semitic!
    N

• mark wadsworth says:

@ Watchman, I’m being quite serious, they’ve actually organised these mass demos and protests about high house prices, unlike the meek young Brits who appear to just take it lying down.

• How does it feel to be forced out of your homes and yet still have some freedoms???

• general congreve says:

@8 – Yes, I second that, it’s important to separate the Jewish people as a whole from the actions of the state of Israel, or that is plain anti-semitic. I certainly do myself, as I have Jewish friends, but also strong views on the policies of the Israeli Government, although I stop short of engaging them on the subject as it could be a sensitive issue. Not that they ever talk about it either, so not sure what their views are, best left alone for the sake of friendship I think.

Some of the best books on the injustices of the Israeli state and their American backers are by Jewish authors, Noam Chomsky and Norman G. Finkelstein in particular.

• Good on the Israelis for carrying out such protests. Shame about the sheer ignorance of some of the comments here. I should think you Brits are on pretty shaky ground criticizing Israel while importing vast quantities of Muslims onto your own lands. Sooner or later they’ll be little ‘Arab springs’ flaming up all over the UK, and then where will you all be? Don’t forget, technically (in Islamic theology) you too are occupying Muslim territory illegally. If you think this is nonsense, maybe its time to expand your knowledge a bit before you blindly condemning other states.

• 13. Geoff

The posters on here didn’t make those rules mate.

Please check yourself.