Friday, July 29, 2011

It’s Friday and it’s the end of an era at the comedy club

The highs, the lows and why I'm stepping down

It is said that ’an Englishman’s home is his castle’, and the dream of owning one’s own home has been at the centre of consumer aspiration from the early days of building societies in the 19th century. As I look forward to the end of my career at the Council of Mortgage Lenders later this week, I want to reflect in this article on some of the highs and lows, particularly in my period as director general of the CML, which has spanned an economic cycle – the last 14 years. It has been a privilege to serve an industry that has helped different generations of homeowners on to the housing ladder, provided financial support for different tenures delivering housing choice, and helped to instil freedom, security and a sense of community throughout the UK.

Posted by jack c @ 10:10 AM (1574 views)

9 thoughts on “It’s Friday and it’s the end of an era at the comedy club

• sibley's b'stard child says:

With the greatest of respect Jack, i’d rather read Blair’s autobiography than Coogan’s ‘I did it my way’ nausea-inducing spiel.

• goodbye

feel free to leave the country

• Classic comment – “through thick and thin, I am proud that the mortgage lending industry has continued to support home-owners, as well as to develop a thriving private rental sector and to underpin the funding of affordable housing for social tenants”

I now fully understand the gravity of Winston Churhill’s line “Never in the field of UK lending was so much owed by so many to so few”

• – “through thick and thin, I am proud that the mortgage lending industry has collapse the UK economy”

• the Ukraine looks a nicer place to live than the UK

• i bet he’ll be retiring on a nice FAT pension as well.

• Like listening to Murdoch going on about a free press as essential to a democratic state.

• hang on a minute! why on earth has my post @4 been removed?

• I think the bit about being taken outside and shot might have swung it, albeit I took that part of your response to be a bit TIC – I wonder if Mortgagestrategy will publish your comment?