Thursday, June 16, 2011

Two bank holidays, decent enough weather, what’s the excuse for this?

UK retail sales fall 1.4% in May

UK retail sales fell 1.4% in May, official figures have shown, reversing the rise seen in April when sales were boosted by the royal wedding.

Posted by watchman @ 12:03 PM (1980 views)

11 thoughts on “Two bank holidays, decent enough weather, what’s the excuse for this?

• Oh That means inflation is coming Not

• general congreve says:

Sales volume down 1.4% from the previous month, BUT sales ‘value’ up 3.8% from this time last year.

So, there’s your recovery right there!

What’s that? Oh, yeah, um, inflation.

• It smacks of an average 5.2% retail inflation over the last year, although no doubt several of you will be able to do a proper calculation.

• As Sterling falls, sales will follow. Simples!

No growth innit me old mucker.

• Merv is doing more damage to the economy by sitting on his hands rather than pulling up his socks.

We still haven’t seen oil prices at the top end yet.

Come on Obama, you can do better than this for your learned backers, howz about Pakistan too. And China, of course.

• 2,409 posts I made in an active membership spanning more than four years.

Good bye to you all. I won’t be wasting any more of my time here.

I only came here to argue with right wingers in the end (otherwise known as shooting fish in a barrel) which was not my original reason for joining. I will only miss the banter with a very small number of members. The rest might just as well been broadcasting white noise for the actual value they added to the debates.

I think this is what is known in gaming circles as a rage quit!

Good bye.

• general congreve says:

@5 – Did you mention gold? They don’t like that. If some self-important [email protected] reports you it’ll only be a 24 hour ban in my experience. Don’t let them win.

• Don’t do it Nickolarge, the Forum has become a bit notorious for heavy handed moderation and one dimensional thinking. I rarely bother even looking at it now. However, the news blog is a useful resource. The moderation policy needs a look at – okay you have to prevent spammers bots and illegal stuff. But hpc mods seem to be very thin skinned or cliquey. If the owners had any sense they’d bin the mods and start again with a broadly open door policy. Sorry for contributing to the off topicalization of the thread.

• mark wadsworth says:

Nickolarge, sorry to hear that.

• I was very patient and polite when it first happened. I sent one email per day for the first three days asking why my posting rights were blocked and got no reply. I then changed my signature on my posts to an announcement that I was blocked from posting without being given any explanation. This retrospectively updates on every post I had ever made. As a result of that I have been completely banned.

• I now see that they have removed two of my posts from this thread but not had the brainpower to remove the other two.