Thursday, June 23, 2011

Not sure i would call it home improvement

Home Improvement Firm 'On The Brink'

1,300 jobs are at risk at the home improvement firm behind Moben Kitchens, Dolphin Bathrooms, Sharps Bedrooms and KitchensDirect, as it prepares to appoint administrators.

Posted by mark @ 06:00 PM (2050 views)

14 thoughts on “Not sure i would call it home improvement

• general congreve says:

• I think the only shops we will have left are food shops, Those who want high house prices and living costs, will reap what they sow.

• If you get a Moben designer round, they’ll quickly measure up and do a cookie-cutter design exercise on the laptop as you speak. And then try to sell you that design. Greeeat.

I wonder if the Administrators will value the business at such-and-such an outrageously overpriced figure but then offer a 50% discount to try to fool potential buyers that they’re getting a good deal?

• Thanks for flagging this one up as the wife’s insisting we get a new set of built in wardobes after the holidays !! – I can now shelve her plans again.

• “1. general congreve said…
    Oh, Oh, got one of them in the high street, that’ll be another one empty to add to the collection then!”

Once the conversion of commercial to residential planning change goes through you could snap it up and have a nice kitchen.

• sibley's b'stard child says:

“…I can now shelve her plans again.”

Very good Jack, pun intended?

I can only presume there’s a correlation with super-low housing transactions, the death of MEWing, and decreasing disposable income.

• @sibley’s b’stard child – she really does want the wardrobes but I thought I’d slip the pun in for good measure – incidentally I was down the library the other day and I said to the Librarian – “do you have any books on shelves”? I just got a funny look so I said “do you have any books on suicide”? to which she said dont be daft Jack you’ll never bring it back.

On a more serious note quite agree with your last point to which you can add tighter lending criteria

The MMR has been delayed – I have info on this if you are still interested?

• ontheotherhand says:

“Homeform is owned by private equity group, Sun European Partners.”

The shop won’t close. This administration ruse is probably some way of them retiring the debt and then buying back the control of the company.

• brickormortis says:

I have spent a long time searching for a new kitchen and I can’t help but vomit when I see the prices of chipboard carcasses and cheap doors. For example, £800 (apparently) for one of those pull out cupboards with metal trays in for your baked bean cans and potatoes. £800! There were doors to cabinets for £250 – A foooooking door. I bought a very nicely made solid hardwood bed from a very good online retailer for £300. What is it with Kitchen companies. Is there a company out there that just sells good quality, sensibly priced Kitchens that don’t come with hidden extra costs like the handles for the doors or the side panels or the compulsory non-free delivery?

It is all well and good when your house is going up in value and you are with drawing equity as some kind of national sport or flipping properties for fun as the market climbs but when it stops – and it has – (and Gordon the moron knew this more than anyone) – the whole system grinds to a halt because nobody wants to pay ridiculous prices out of (what is left of) their hard earned cash!

Please feel free to let me know any decent kitchen companies because Moben and Kitchens direct are quite possibly two of the dodgiest I have come across!

• letthemfall says:

Surprising how a kitchen company can go bust knocking out chipboard at crazy prices – buy low: sell in the stratosphere. Perhaps the punters have realised what a con it all is. But our economy is crazy. That’s why builders (never mind that gap in the skirting and the crumbling pointing) and plumbers (wrong fitment leaking where you can’t see it) are retiring in their forties, while scientists, teachers, medical staff are having their pensions screwed over. I won’t even bother to mention bankers…

• sibley's b'stard child says:

Please Jack, if you wouldn’t mind; though i’m not at all surprised.

• Habitat also collapsing – all but three London stores in administration – the property-driven boom in consumer spending has collapsed

• sibley's b'stard child says:

Thanks Jack, I thought this quote to be pertinent:

He adds: “If you knew in advance that mortgage lending to a customer group with specific characteristics had a 15% chance of resulting in arrears and repossessions, is that too high? – when the implication of considering it ‘too high’ is that we will protect the 15% from the trauma of repossession, but at the expense of restricting the freedom of 85% of that customer group to make a stretching but still ultimately affordable commitment.”