Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Mid week at the comedy club

Non-homeowners have no freedom, claims Gummer

John Gummer, the former Conservative MP for Suffolk Coastal and the chairman of the Association of Mortgage Intermediaries has claimed non-homeowners have no freedom. Speaking at the AMI annual dinner last night he said home ownership has been one of the main strengths of Britain. He told the audience: “Home ownership is the basis of freedom, people who do not own their own home do not have independence.” .He went on to say: “AMI is a proper representation of a great profession, which is crucial to the property owning democracy in the UK and as such makes a bigger contribution to freedom than perhaps any other profession.” Gummer claimed people who dealt with him throughout his time in parliament could be much tougher with him if they owned their own home.

Posted by jack c @ 03:40 PM (2939 views)

18 thoughts on “Mid week at the comedy club

• No VI crap here then John Gummer, I wonder what they pay you to say this?

Democratic right to own a house. Democratic right not to.

Did anyone see Max Keiser last night. Very funny, Tony Blair has apparently said that if the leaders of the arab nations do not take up democracy, then we will have to impose it upon them.

Revolution IS democracy.

• Where do you start with a [email protected] like this?
    “Home ownership is the basis of freedom, people who do not own their own home do not have independence.” Utter rubbish. I own my my own business but rent a house and reckon I have more freedom than any home-owner in a job.

“AMI is a proper representation of a great profession, which is crucial to the property owning democracy in the UK and as such makes a bigger contribution to freedom than perhaps any other profession.” Yeah right. so if a doctor cures a patient of some horrific illness, they aren’t giving them freedom? Or teachers who give kids a future? Kn0b.

“Gummer claimed people who dealt with him throughout his time in parliament could be much tougher with him if they owned their own home.” If my MP treated me differently because I rented I would do whatever I could to have them kicked out for discrimination.

• mark wadsworth says:

Excellent find.

“Property owning democracy” is one of those splendid meaningless phrases which nominal right wingers like to trot out to justify Home-Owner-Ism. As if stuff like shares, bank accounts, your own wages, car, whatever, aren’t “property”.

If I were in a charge with a Georgist tax/welfare system (LVT/CI) then every UK citizens would own one sixty-two millionth part of all UK land (in economic terms) and that would be the best guarantee of democracy of all – from there on in, it’s every man for himself.

• The comments section is well worth a read – members of AMI are less than impressed with the cr*p he is spouting. On a personal note I resigned as a member of AIFA the minute I found out of his involvement.

• What a load of tosh . I don`t own a house and I have loads of freedom . I have loads of freedom because I sold my house and rent instead .Now I have loads of lovely money . If I had a house , all I would have is a place to live , now I have both money and a place to live .

• If owning property = freedom, and freedom is considered a human right, then all non-property owners should be given property to make them free.

• ontheotherhand says:

Great find. Yes building on your point greenmind @5, we should get Cheri Blair’s chambers or one of the others to apply some EU human rights angle to this and sue the government.

In 1432 King Henry VI established that only male owners of expensive property were entitled to vote. The Reform Act 1832 extended voting rights to adult males who rented expensive propertied land (still only 1 in 7). Pesky Reform Act. If Gummer had his way we’d go back to 1432 so that only the very richest had a vote.

• Krustyatemyhamster says:

Tory turns out to be a tory. I’m shocked

• charlie brooker says:

If non-home-owners are not free then what are home-owners?

• yorkshireman says:

Home-owners are free to do anything the system wants or needs them to do.

• It didn’t feel very free when we got trapped with negative equity and a Northern Rock mortgage.

We were luck. We got out.

• This is smoke and mirrors in my opinion by the home owners party. The reason the conservatives want you to own your own home is exactly for the opposite reason. The day you take out a mortgage or buy a house you lose your freedom. For example you cannot, move overnight, quit your job for a laugh and sign on benefits, call your landlord to fix the flat, etc. A property actually owns the owner, it is also a lot easier for goverments to tax a home owning democracy and a property also takes away your freedom to rebel because you have too much to lose.

• mark wadsworth says:

Jallan, excellent summary. But to maintain the illusion of freedom, they kindly exempt your house from tax, while taxing you to death on your actual earned wages or business profits.

• If I had a house I wouldn’t have done hardly any of the great many things over the past 7.5 years like working and living in The Netherlands, Germany and Sweden . I would have been constantly paranoid about having my house burgled and would probably be grey from all the worry and hassle by now. The small amounts I effectively lost by renting is more than made up by the increase in hourly rate due to the extra experience gained.

• He’s right in a way he probably didn’t intend: When you finally pay back the bank and actually own your property, you’re finally free from your mortgage. Until then, you’re committed – unless you die.

mortgage (n.)
    late 14c., from O.Fr. morgage (13c.), mort gaige, lit. “dead pledge” (replaced in modern Fr. by hypothèque), from mort “dead” + gage “pledge;” so called because the deal dies either when the debt is paid or when payment fails.

Isn’t he the fellow that forced his kids to eat a mad cow burger?

• With Jobs becoming scarce owing a house for working age people is becoming more of a liability because if you lose your job at let’s sat Pfizer in Sandwich then you are well and truly buggered because you are not going to get another job like this within 50 miles.

• Sadly, one the most abiding memories of 80s childhood is my mother regularly crying here eyes out & often been physically sick with
    worry from the threats of repossession.

If that’s freedom, you can shove it up your a hole Gummer.

• Gummer is a politician, so what do you expect? sense!

A house is just somewhere to live, and owning a house just has a different set of advantages and disadvantage to renting.

Most of the comments here are just envy, flawed logic, crocodile tears and fantasy; LVT is unlikely to be enacted unless TPTB (the oligarchy) is forced to, because I doubt they’ll do it by choice! Are you willing to riot or kill to get it, seriously?