Saturday, April 9, 2011

LVT on the TV in Scotland

85% of households would be better off under Greens’ land tax, party says

LVT on the agenda in Scotland! The Scottish Green Party is proposing to replace council tax and business rates with land value tax by 2012.

Posted by the number cruncher @ 08:20 AM (1941 views)

8 thoughts on “LVT on the TV in Scotland

• mark wadsworth says:

If I were up there I’d definitely give them my second vote.

• I haven’t looked into this whole AV thing, but why wouldn’t you just give them your first vote?

• mark wadsworth says:

There might be a UKIP candidate, so he or she gets “1” and Greens get “2”. My third vote goes to any other candidate who is not Labour, Lib Dem, Tory or SNP.

• I’ll only have confidence in LVT, if someone can provide a full Austrian Economics system model of the economy, with and without LVT, including rent dynamics, politics, foreign investors and cunning accountants, and project how it works over several decades.

LVT sounds better, on the surface, because it may reduce the number of taxes and may simplify taxation, however it may also have unintended negative consequences, like all taxes do, especially with significant inflation; the devil will be in the inevitable loopholes.

• The Greens don’t get many votes north of the border..

..at the last Scottish parliament election, they were almost wiped out..

• Quite, U.T.
    But common sense was always of minority appeal.

• Despite the cynics, I am certain LVT will be something people eventually ‘get’. The Scottish, having been particularly shafted by landowners, may be the first to see the benefits.

• @5 shipbuilder – I agree. Although whether I have that much patience remains to be seen

MW – please let me know once you have produced the first batch of bumper stickers extolling the virtues of LVT and I will happily oblige