Thursday, April 7, 2011

JD on Sky

House Price Rise Fails To Boost Year Forecast

The Sky presenter [as last time] appears overly aggressive and vexatious from the start . Maybe he is TTRTR [remember him] or smugdog [remember him] ?

Posted by doomwatch @ 03:13 PM (4017 views)

23 thoughts on “JD on Sky

• general congreve says:

So we have the commentator calming telling the presenter we have banks with fraudulent balance sheets who are truly insolvent, a dire economy and that we are toast if we raise interest rates. On the other side we have a very irate presenter getting very emotional and lashing out (a bit like a cornered animal). Who do you trust?

Reminds me of Peter Schiff interviews on US financial TV back before the crash took ‘everyone by surprise’, where the presenters and other commentators laughed at and mocked his calm assertations that the housing market and economy were in a bubble that was about to burst.

• sibley's b'stard child says:

That’s Financial Planner isn’t it? I’ll have a proper look tonight.

• Sibs – correct Jonathan Davis posts on here as Financial Planner (I take it you un-ravelled my cryptic message on MIck Foley – wink wink)

• sibley's b'stard child says:

Oh aye Jack, i’m a dab-hand at them cryptic crosswords.

• good performance johnathan….particularly the toast bit…..if interest rates were 5% then we would have had a complete economic collapse like ireland

• You have to hand it to Financial Planner, he knows he’s right and is unshakable.

That’s integrity. You too MW along with the gold bugs.

• general congreve says:

@5 – We currently need them at around 7.5% to curb inflation at 5.5%, so it’s a good job the BoE held rates at 0.5% today. Shame the increasing cost of everything apart from mortgages will now start squeezing over-stretched mortgage holders from the other side, and that government borrowing needs to increase to keep up with index-linked benefits and pensions. They’ve really led this country to the slaughter, no way back and sheer cliffs on all sides, [email protected]

• @ Taffee,
    I think we would be toast if IRs reach 4%. The UK need to follow the ECB’s example before inflation goes stupid in this country.

Good for JD to stick to his guns. I don’t like the provocative “in your face approach” by the commentator – I expect he thinks the audience needs to see him showing some aggression.

• Peter Schiff is an economist. Jonathan Davis is a financial adviser. This is like comparing a doctor with somebody who has been on a first aid course.

And, for those who don’t already know it, JD has been predicting a house price crash since 2004. Fail.

• happy mondays says:

@ 8 & in a real free market it would have happened ! To many goverenment props have prevented a leveller..

• general congreve says:

Spot on Happy Mondays. Oh well, that can is getting heavier and heavier and more anvil shaped every time it’s kicked down the road, gonna go nowhere at some point and break some bones in the process.

• little professor says:

FP is looking pretty hot these days

• @ 8 Lucky Jim It doesn’t matter if you’re an economist or a financial planner – the housing market is all about politics. Britain has (nearly) the world’s highest proportion of owner occupiers (i.e. mortgagees) so any politician in government would sell their own grandmother to avoid house price falls. We can only hope they will be overtaken by events.

• If my aunty had a dick she would be my uncle. We all have access to the same information. Some of us called the peak of the boom and bottom of last crash to the month. JD sold to rent in 2003 and has been getting it badly wrong ever since.

• > Peter Schiff is an economist. Jonathan Davis is a financial adviser. This is like comparing a doctor with somebody who has been on a first aid course.

Nah. It’s like comparing a healthcare administrator to a paramedic.
    I love the “toast” thing, though. Reminds me of something they used to say in my home town. “If you can see the church spire, it’s going to rain. If you can’t, it’s raining.”

• phdinbubbles says:

@LJ
    You might have called the bottom of a trough where you are, but where I’m sitting right now prices are below the ‘trough’ (albeit marginally below). However, I also know areas where prices are now down a straight 40% from peak that were only down ~15% in 2009. A couple of questions: How does your prescience relate to those areas? Can you tell me where the national average is heading over the next couple of years?

• mick rupert says:

@13 so-called “luckyjim”

you’re sounding like a cornered animal. Your comments are naive at best, or else wilfully ignorant.

What do you think Jonathan Davis did with his winnings when he sold to rent in 2003? Put them in a building society deposit account? LOL.

He was one of those with the balls to invest his money elsewhere. Probably precious metals as many who STR’d before 2007 did.

Listen luckyjim, for all your wit and cleverness, I’m not noticing YOU being interviewed on Sky News. Now that’s what I call a fail.

Off you go luckyjim, go back to your average life and conservative (small c) non-speculative trusting-the-government “it’ll all be OK” attitude to life. It’ll NEVER bite you on the bottom.

Jonathan Davis is an independent thinker. A heretic. And I bet he is LOADED. And not just due to house price inflation like the rest of the sheeple in this country.

• mick rupert says:

CLARIFICATION: I’m not saying that HPI means people who own property are wealthy. It’s obviously dead money if you want to buy and sell a house, obviously… and an illiquid asset which if you’re looking to make money would be unwise to “pile in” now…

• sibley's b'stard child says:

Regardless, FP has been bloody good PR for the HPC cause; getting the point across (for many years) in the media without sounding like a foaming at the mouth nutter.

• MR,

We all have to live somewhere. The choice is between servicing a mortgage or paying rent. The relative performance of precious metals or any other investment is only relevant to the lost opportunity of having equity tied up in your home.

Would 10k invested in gold between 2003 and 2007 have been a better investment than a 10k deposit on a 100k home over the same period? The gold would need to outperform property 10 times over.

It works the other way round too mind – a 10% deposit can be wiped out in a matter of months.

The point is, we all need to make decisions based and our own judgement and personal circumstances (and regional circumstances LP). We should give vested interest loonies like JD no more credence than we give Kirsty and Phil.

As for appearing on Sky News, it is truly sad anyone places value on such things.

• Hi guys,
    Can I be the new smug dog? (only joking) My house purchase came through fine and I’m now the proud owner of a new home. As a regular HPCer I am really sympathetic to everyone on here wanting to buy a house. I have been waiting for years. But I can honestly say as I home owner I am very nervous about prices right now. I reckon that the crash is underway, but sadly because of my circumstances I needed to buy and couldn’t hold out any longer. So I guess what I’m saying is keep the faith – as a home owner if I’m nervous about prices others must be too -so maybe we are entering the fear stage?

• sibley's b'stard child says:

Fair play Mystie, are you a FTB and was it a reasonable price as opposed to fantasy 2007 pricing? Still, at least now you can stop hanging on for every major HPI index release…

• @ 20 SBC – the price was well below 2007 prices but it needs a shed load of work. We just couldn’t afford the price of one already done up, so we are going to do it up slowly as we can afford it. Hopefully we won’t loose too much money, but I am expecting to. Ideally I would have wanted to wait to buy a bit longer, but after watching everything play out for so long I was between a rock and a hard place.