Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Online campaign targets high cost of housing

Online campaign targets high cost of housing

"It's the sort of social media campaign that sends shivers through people trying to sell their houses in a flat property market."

Posted by doomwatch @ 01:40 PM (1882 views)

7 thoughts on “Online campaign targets high cost of housing

• Paultherenter says:

What about housepricecrash organising a similar campaign. I would be the first to add my name to it. I have spent the last 10 years being stuck behind rising house price rises, being forced to rent while I waited for things to naturally level out…..only it never did due to BOE, banks etc. artificially keeping it going. Now I am in my forties STILL renting and I cant afford to buy because no-one wants to lend money even though the vast amounts of tax my company has paid has bailed them out. Sorry, starting to rant. My three children are in their 20’s and have not got a hope in hell of getting their own places until prices are normalised. Mervyn should take action, the housing market is not the only market out their. The fact that our living costs have gone through the roof in the last year should be far more important. If people have taken out variable rate mortgages they know that they could go up. Come on housepricecrash, organise a buyers strike…….

• happy mondays says:

🙂

• It’s a good campaign – and should be supported. Especially in the UK.

@Paultherenter

Don’t hold your breath for activism on this website. The bloggers here, in their own way, are looking to improve the situation where they can. And they do so with the best of intent (the forum is another matter). High housing costs, in developed nations, are the hallmark of dogmatic administrations (and their followers) which use democracy as a front for their own vested interest. The theory goes that if you have to subborn yourself, for a lifetime, to keeping a roof over your head, then you’re controlled.
    Unfortunately, Britain is at a peculiar crossroads. No-one knows how it will, truly, turn out. But one thing is certain – it will be different. It’s time for people to shape things in this country. It’s time for REAL (not political) change.

We must do right by ourselves, and by others. Responsibility counts.

• mark wadsworth says:

I don’t think there’s much need to organise a buyers’ strike, as we’ve got one already (certainly as far as FTBs are concerned).

A few of our HPC brethren have thrown in the towel (Titanic, Tenyears and maybe a couple of others) but that’s all.

• Im in a similar situation to you Paul. I think something like this could really hit the property market hard if it catches on and picks up steam. We cant sit about and wait on old Merv to mess things up more for the sensible ones that havent over stretched them selfs. I think he needs to crank up interest rates to a modest 3% to try and control inflation, 3% is still historically low so anyone with half a brain who is prepared for a rise should be fine, all the others should be hit hard for being so stupid for over stretching them selfs and being even worse for not getting a fixed rate when they were offered by YBS at 4.5% for 10years fixed…..crazy more people didnt take them out. Lets use some comon sense, wages are low, interest is low, unemployment is up, were still in a recession if you take inflation in to account, the Gov are cutting the public sector hard, food and oil prices have gone crazy over the past 2 years, $146/barrel back down to $40 now up at $115(ish) the country is bust my guess is prices will fall in real terms 5% this year, 10% 2012 and another 10% 2013 where we will see the bottom and then stagflation taking place.

• 3. dill,

If it all goes wrong for HPC, may I suggest you invest in some no bull Satsang sessions.

It’s a lot cheaper. Mooji is the man for simplicity.

“Since when in your life have you had control?”

~ Mooji.

• careful MW. My missus has run out of patience and I am likely, against my better judgment, to join tenyears etc. And prices here are a lot worse than england