Friday, January 14, 2011

An electric Aga? What’s the point of that, then?

Londoners are 'doubling up' on their Agas

"More and more London households are turning into “Two Aga” families according to William McGrath, chief executive of the stoves company. He put the popularity of the unit down to the rise of the electric Aga, which 10 years ago made up just 5% of the company's sales. Today they comprise more than half. "People can now programme their stoves so as the one in the basement kitchen in Knightsbridge goes off on Friday lunchtime the one in the cottage on the coast comes on in time to heat up the house for the weekend,” said McGrath."

Posted by mark wadsworth @ 03:49 PM (3025 views)

24 thoughts on “An electric Aga? What’s the point of that, then?

• It does seem daft considering there is so much solid fuel material sloshing around now in the shape of Metro, The Evening Standard, and all the other guff littering the place.

• sibley's b'stard child says:

Dear messr Goodway,

I live in SW3 and have oft-suspected that my neighbours and I were at the forefront of AGA ownership in the UK. It has positively cheered me no end to see it in print, however.

The only downside is that non-AGA owning ne’er-do-wells will know which ‘joints to case’ (which I believe is the correct parlance) when seeking to purloin said trappings of wealth.

Yours sincerely,

Sir Chinless St.John-Smythe

• just about sums up the uk economy….have you ever tried to cook with an aga?….it would take 12 months to guess correctly how to cook anything….if you use the hobs the ovens loses temperature and despite the temperature control you’ll never work out whether its right or not!

• taffee – but it sounds great when hosting one of those fancy dinner party’s to talk about one’s AGA’s – the fact that they are expensive to buy, maintain and run and fooking useless for cooking is irrelevant.

The comments section under the article is a hoot.

• Wonder why he didn’t say “People can now programme their stoves so as the one in the basement kitchen in Scunthorpe goes off on Friday lunchtime the one in Rochdale comes on in time to heat up the house for the weekend”?

• mark wadsworth says:

Ha! That Ben in the comments is showing off about getting an AGA installed in his car.

Pathetic.

I’ve got two AGAs on my yacht and another AGA in my helicopter. I tried attached one to Jocasta’s pony but it kept running away.

• mark wadsworth – I’ve got the water powered AGA in my water powered car – beat that !

• I actually have an aga in my panic room and another for the cats

• mark wadsworth says:

JC, T, I have my butler push round a portable AGA on a trolley wherever I go. Gets a bit tricky on escalators, mind you.

• I bought a spare three from AGOS.

What has the human race come to.

• ralph musgrave says:

All AGA owners should be sent to prison for despoiling the environment. Agaz emit about 2kw even in the middle of Summer: CO2 emission for no purpose whatever. As for the owners, they normally emit a good 3kw of hot air all day long.

• MW 9 – get your coachman to drive it around while you sit in the carriage listening to your jester explaining what the Aga Khan do..

• little professor says:

When did the Evening Standard become a freesheet? I didn’t know about that

• mark wadsworth says:

Little known fact: the Aga Khan is Chaka Khan’s elder brother, and he holds the hereditary patent on AGAs.

Another little known fact: AGA cookers were originally going to be called “SAGA” so that they could sell them to baby boomers, but they are so badly made the “S” fell off.

Yet another little known fact; AGA is a palindrome.

• mark wadsworth says:

LP, a couple of years ago some ex-KGB bloke bought the title for £1 and being not short of a bob or two, he made it a freesheet.

He managed to put London Lite and London Paper (or something) two other free sheets out of business within weeks.

• [email protected], I’ve put some lyrics to your scene.

Aga do do do, push the Aga round with me, Aga do do do, push my Aga behind me.

To the left to the right, push it round to cook for me.

Cook every night, I’ve bought the Aga along with me.

• MW @ 13 : I think you’ll find the Aga Khan is Imran Khan’s sister and that Chaka Khan is in fact a second cousin; he does indeed hold the hereditary patent on AGAs but spent most of his fortune lobbying New Labour to keep the inherited rights, thus leading to significant Aga price inflation over the last 12 years.

• mark wadsworth says:

enuii, glorious.

Alan_540, another little known fact is that Jemima Goldsmith, ex-wife of Pakistani cricketer Imran Khan (who is no relation to human rights lawyer Imran Khan but who is actually the Aga Khan’s younger brother), owns several AGAs.

• AGA SAGA!

• Do they come with LED spotlights?

• I can only imagine that the journalist involved must have got a decent lunch out of this. Heaven knows in terms of minutes that could be spent reading something else, his readers were short changed.

It’s this kind of questionable journalism that has got the ES where it is today – a free paper. Seriously I reckon it was their persistent and incessant ramping of the housing market in 2005, 2006 and 2007 that led their readership to abandon them.

• Having an Aga for a cooker is bit like have a horse and cart for transport. Wonder when fashion will get round to persuading wealthy twerps to ditch the motor.

• letthemfall – it takes too long to get from Knightsbridge to the cottage on the coast by horse and cart. The coach and four’s the thing.

• I’m pleasantly suprised, Aga Khan makes a change from the hot topics involving Aga Ewin.