Monday, December 20, 2010

We could all move to Scotland!

Rise in numbers of vacant homes in Scotland

"The number of empty homes in Scotland has risen to its highest level since 2003, according to a survey by the Bank of Scotland.Its latest vacant property report records 106,239 properties in September 2009 compared with 106,312 in 2003".

Posted by alan @ 10:39 PM (1893 views)

17 thoughts on “We could all move to Scotland!

• Contrast the BBC’s treatment of the news that Empty houses decline in England, Halifax says with this article.

The article about empty homes in the UK talks of landlords’ rental voids being reduced, but the article in this post about empty homes in Scotland only talks of how it might reduce homelessness.

• “We could all move to Scotland!” – no we couldnt as we cant get up to Scotland – The A1 North of Morpeth is completely impassible, the rail network is knackered and Flight at the moment is something only the Wright brothers could dream of !! – I can see a big fat Westminster review on the horizon any minute now.

• mark wadsworth says:

What Jack C says.

The houses are just as wildly overpriced as in England, there’s too much snow etc. Not a practical solution is it, Alan? Some of us don’t even speak Scottish so there’s the language barrier as well.

• Might not be so bad up there. I guess they are good at clearing snow, they have no student fees for residents! I can get used to whisky and haggis.

• Yes, Scotland. They love the craic up there don’t they – always after a good time. Can’t keep them off it in fact.

• @4 khards : No-one, not even the scotlanders like haggis.

• [email protected] – do you mean the Scottish (although Scotlanders brings to mind hordes of semi-clad american extras in Braveheart following an Australian warrior into battle against the sassenachs), and they do like haggis actually, at least once a year to celebrate the joys of Robert Burns.

• sibley's b'stard child says:

Since we’ve descended into puerile humour, I feel obligated to quote the marvelous cult comedy; Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place:

Dagless: The cabin crew suggested we all go out and club it. I had no option. It was that or one of their B&Bs. I figured it’d be safer on the streets. For the first time ever I saw the Scotch in their natural habitat, and it weren’t pretty. I’d seen them huddling in stations before, being loud but… this time I was surrounded. Everywhere I went it felt like they were watching me; fish-white flesh puckered by the Highland breeze; tight eyes peering out for fresh meat; screechy, booze-soaked voices hollering out for a taxi to take ’em halfway up the road to the next all-night watering hole. A shatter of glass; a round of applause; a sixteen-year-old mother of three vomiting in an open sewer, bairns looking on, chewing on potato cakes. I ain’t never going back… not never.

Sanchez: My aunt lives in Scotland; she says it’s quite nice.

Dagless: Well, she’s wrong.

• Haggis is just a convenient way the jocks have of packaging up the minced testicles of various animals and selling them to the ignorant at an exorbitant price. Hence the reason it is traditionally served with a tot of whiskey – to help take the taste of assorted scrota out of one’s mouth – not to mention the alcohol duling the senses enough to convince oneself that “It’s an odd taste but I could get used to it…”. This also, incidentally, effectively sums up my opinions on gayism, which is a bit of an acquired taste, and another specialism I can see no point in, although a big thumbs up to all the gays out there. Likewise, I can’t see the point in football, but I’m in favour of anyone’s right to play football, which also applies to gayism. Right, covered penty of bases there.

• sibley's b'stard child says:

Well Alan, you missed out the disabled and ‘effnics’ but otherwise a sterling effort.

• Alan 540 “I can’t see the point of football”

Me neither. Other things which I just don’t “get” are musicals, ballet, X Factor, Apprentice, Strictly-sum-Dancing, opera and picnics.

• sibs : Apologies, for the oversight 😉

• Alan von Schafstiefel @ 9 …..
    ‘Haggis is just a convenient way the jocks have of packaging up the minced testicles of various animals’

…..talking ball locks again – consistant as ever

• MV @ 11…
    ‘I just don’t “get” are musicals, ballet, X Factor, Apprentice, Strictly-sum-Dancing, opera and picnics.’

but LVT mmmmmmmakes him come over all unesseccary

• braindead : I take it you’re an angry little jocklander? Tongue firmly in cheek with the above comments, but as usual your porous skin is unable to protect you from the slightest contrarian opinion. I suggest lying in a darkened room for a few days and it will soon be the new year, when you can start your blood pressure soaring afresh.

• …..I only said…..and wots wiff the jocklander und braindead, von Schafstiefel :-)?