Friday, December 10, 2010

Trust is a many splendid thing:0)

Trust me, I'm an estate agent: How underhand technology is being used to sell homes

Particularly like the last point in the 'cut through the patter' section, and I think many of you will too.

Posted by bystander @ 03:36 PM (1345 views)

10 thoughts on “Trust is a many splendid thing:0)

• sibley's b'stard child says:

“Ignore agents’ deliberate vagueness over “with offers in the region of”, “guide price” or “offers in excess of”. Instead work out what price the property would have reached at the peak of the market in 2007, then subtract 35 per cent.”

Get in there.

• Yes, I wasaboutto post that commentfromthebottom of the article. Unfortunately inky area I think such offers would eventually lead to ridicule and the refusal of agents to even show you around houses.

I don’t believe anyone has achieved 35% discount on a normal house.

• Something appears to havegone wrongwithmyspacebar !

• sibley's b'stard child says:

EAs eh? Cor, they’ll stoop at nothing.

• @str 2007 : drooling at the idea of affordable houses gummed up the keyboard?

• Some agents advise sellers to switch on radios, CD players and bathroom ventilation fans to create ambient household sounds which distract visitors from busy street noise.

I did that when I sold my old diesel car. I set it so that the radio came on full blast when the ignition was turned on, thereby drowning out the horrible cold engine noise. Let’s face it, if we were estate agents we’d all use these same tricks too. It’s a competitive business.

• Some years ago, I was seriously thinking about buying due to problems with a shared house I was renting in. One of the estate agents I dealt with wanted to introduce me to ‘Graham’. Graham would look into my circumstances to identify the best mortgage deal for me. Hee hee! Green as the grass, I said yes and we agreed an appointment. Due to an unforseeable change in my work situation, I had to abort the whole project and made my apologies to the agent after a few viewings but before my interview with Graham. Later, I realised that Graham would have
    1) Sought to sell me a deal for his commission.
    2) Told the EA exactly what I was worth i.e. how much I might be persuaded to bid up for.
    As I said, green as fresh grass. I hope any FTBer readers are taking this in.

• greenshootsandleaves says:

A terraced house in Letchworth has just appeared on rightmove with an asking price of £170k which illustrates to perfection what the flEAs can do when they decide to pull out all the stops (perhaps someone will be so kind as to make the link work).

• greenshootsandleaves,

That’s a terrible advert – they could at least have moved the filthy white van off the driveway before taking the photo! Otherwise there’s nothing wrong with that house (except the price, that’s quite shocking).

• greenshootsandleaves says:

drewster @ 11:29 (Friday) ‘they could at least have moved the filthy white van off the driveway before taking the photo!’

I knew there was something wrong with that photograph! I just couldn’t put my finger on it.

In all honesty I didn’t look at the pictures of the inside of the house, so I can’t comment on whether £170k is a fair price. I am, however, thinking of making an offer on one of the vans.