Thursday, December 30, 2010

Slipping quietly under the radar

House prices set to plummet by up to 10% in 2011, experts predict

House prices will fall next year, the vast majority of economists canvassed for a poll are predicting. Fifty of the 56 who took part expect that prices, which have been dropping in recent months, will continue their downward path. Most did not expect a crash but think a fall of five to ten per cent is likely, according to the survey by the Financial Times.

Posted by jack c @ 03:42 PM (2015 views)

11 thoughts on “Slipping quietly under the radar

• sibley's b'stard child says:

“Chris Williamson, chief economist at the consultancy Markit, said: ‘I expect the traditional three-bed semi outside London to see the worst of any downturn as public sector employees suffer reduced pay or job cuts.”

“Quick, assemble spec-ops; we’ve got a rogue agent deviating from script!”

• First we get a long awaited apology from King and now this.

They know precisely what they are doing now that the ducks are all lined up.

“Now is the time.” Do not be limited by your imaginations, here comes the biggest bubble pop in history.

Fortunes will be won and lost, as always. Eric Cantona will be exonerated from what seemed to be a failed cause, flashman and

smuggy will be along from time to time to patch things up when it all gets too hairy. 😉

The HPC has finally kicked into gear and the white knuckle ride begins with an ominous creak.

• these people are thick…FLATS suffer the most as houses m,ove into first time buyer territory

doh

• I really hope this article is true. I am getting fed up of waiting, yet don’t want to dive in and buy a house because I know I will be throwing away any prospect of a reasonable retirement.

• mark wadsworth says:

All excellent bear food.

@ Taffee, I’m not sure that’s true. I think in percentage terms, houses increased more than flats over the last ten years, so by reverse logic, houses will fall more than flats. Either way, I’m in the market for a house (sooner or later) so maybe that’s wishful thinking on my part?

• Words such as Fall, Slump, Plummet, Crash etc… are now regularly included in such articles and the message might just be starting to register with the readership

• All the top-rated comments are bearish. Many comments calling for much bigger drops!

• Never mind…..we’ve got a whole evenings viewing of Phil and Krusty on C4… what bliss!

• Oh no they’re not!

OK, let’s all sit down this time again next year and swap notes.

HPC self appointed experts have just got it wrong for the last 2 -3 years (excluding techie).

They might have it right this next year perhaps,who knows what lengths the ‘powers’ will go to, but if I were a betting man…

Their track record is in tatters.

He’s behind you Jack!!!

• My favourite comment so far:

“I too, predict that house price falls will be negligible next year. I also predict that house prices will fall for as many years as they have risen. Three years ago the majority of this country believed that house prices would never fall. In three years time, the majority will beleive that house prices will never rise.
    Don’t believe me? Just look at the history of house price rises and falls over the last few decades. For every year they go up, there is a year they go down.

…And they have been going up a long, long time.

– Roger Ball, Houghton Regis, 30/12/2010 16:54”

• I agree with Roger.