Monday, October 18, 2010

We are all in this together … but some are more in it than others

How the rich beat the taxman

If you can stomach the dodgy dealings in the Caymans, Osborne's tax-free inheritance, and an hour in front of the screen - watch this.

Posted by letthemfall @ 08:59 PM (1603 views)

7 thoughts on “We are all in this together … but some are more in it than others

• I feel like I’m living in an Eric Blair story – am I alone?……cue skidmark and a scrounger rant.

• the number cruncher says:

Just watches this – what can I say – robbing the poor to feed the rich, just as it has always been.

braindeed @ 1 Good old Eric – He is my hero, I cannot thank him enough for his work, or emphasise its impact on me when I was a teenager.

I wish we had a literary tour de force to write a few books on the present state, how about:

“Keep the Bankers Flying” – story of a mid life crises of an advertising executive who has to lie about his own income so he can get a mortgage so he can marry his true love
    “Tax Haven Farm” – offshore good, PAYE bad
    “the road to (Fergus) Wilson pier” and everyday story of the BTL empire and the appalling conditions of the houses that made it possible
    “2084” a dystopian nightmare where houseprices are 25 times the average wage and ‘Big Crusty’ forces us to watch location, location, location 18 hours a day on a TV that cannot be turned off. Phil ‘Winston’ Smith will torture you until you admit 20 times your salary rally means 3.5.

• Foe those who voted Tory [Tyrell et al]: Eric Blair = George Orwell.

• even the channel islands got a mention. You wouldnt beleive the hand wringing headlines every time the screw is turned on the uk tax payers. very blatantly profiting from jo publics loss

• Doomwatch my friend, surely you’re not suggesting that Tory voters are semi-literate and ignorant of famous literary figures! Personally I would never comment on the stupidity of those you implicate.

I think perhaps Kafka is the author for our times: in which we are all turned into bugs that get squashed under the bankers’ feet.

• the number cruncher says:

letthemfall do you not think ‘the castle’ is a far better novel to understand our present predicament. The banking system is the vast impenetrable castle and we are the villagers

• Quite possibly number cruncher, though I haven’t read that one. Just about anything by Kafka captures something about our society now.