Sunday, October 3, 2010

Caught the end of this “live” so though i should post

Housing Benefit - plans interview

Starts at 31:20 ; Although this is the London version, i thought since Grant's (MWs fav) is on.

Posted by techieman @ 05:51 PM (2270 views)

7 thoughts on “Caught the end of this “live” so though i should post

• sorry “Although this is the London version, i thought since Grant’s (MWs fav) is on, it might be worth watching”

“housing benefit has gone through the roof” made me smile!

• Anecdotally, self employed builder getting repossessed with bad credit rating, he can’t rent & there’s a 4 year waiting list for a council house.

I just wonder how many are that close to the edge, I genuinely think quite alot.

This really isn’t funny, having had the conversation we could quickly tip into a situation of absolute depression from a current position of everything looking ok on the surface.

I know we don’t think interest rates could go up, but that or a wave of redundancies [which is on the cards] could be the tipping point.

• Wageslavex14 says:

I think I’m going to complain to OFCOM (or whoever the relevant regulator is now) after that interview. I thought that was a disgrace – Schapps was being very reasonable indeed, but the BBC stooge just kept trying to be Paxman, and was wholly out of order.

• mark wadsworth says:

Techie, thanks for that.

Shappsy defends this move and explains (I paraphrase), it’s not right for people who aren’t working to live in nicer houses than people who are; rents for low paid workers won’t go up; people will have to adjust, by cutting their budgets for other things; by getting a job or working harder or trading down to a cheaper property.

Exactly, quite right, I couldn’t agree more, and I suspect knee-jerk right wingers would agree too.

Now, let’s imagine they introduced Land Value Tax and the minister responsible explained that “it’s not right for people who aren’t working to live in nicer houses than people who are; rents for low paid workers won’t go up; people will have to adjust, by cutting their budgets for other things; by getting a job or working harder or trading down to a cheaper property.”

I’d be cheering him or her to the rafters, but I suspect the knee-jerk right wingers would be up in arms about it. Y’see I might be radical but I am at least intellectually consistent.

• With the price of goods rising quite sharply in the last few months plus fuel costs likely to rise, savers being urged to spend to help the economy(what is the point of saving if you have to blow it just to possibly help the economy), huge cutbacks in the public sector expected,
    how can there be an expectation of growth, how will the private sector suddenly expand to absorb public sector redundencies, people will no longer be able to spend on unnecessary goods and services thereby increasing the likelihood of futher private sector redundancies and cutbacks.

• apologies for spelling mistakes.

• np @4 – I have started spending all my money.

On gold