Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Out of touch with reality

'I know plenty of people who get by on £25,000'

The following statement really gets up my nose: "At the same time I started looking for a second home so that eventually I can let my house in Primrose Hill for a rental income. Right now it would bring in about £60,000-£70,000 a year and that will do me just fine – I know plenty of people getting by on £25,000 a year." Pompous tw*t.

Posted by mr g @ 01:10 PM (2343 views)

15 thoughts on “Out of touch with reality

• “What’s been your best buy? – My house in Primrose Hill. I bought it seven years ago for £900,000 and I reckon it’s worth £1.4m today, which is not bad given the property market slump. I was lucky to find a fairly small three-bedroom house I could afford”

I would expect a castle and a butler etc.. for that type of money

• Welcome to the true group of unemployed scroungers, that will bring this country into the biggest depression in it’s history.

The out of work are funding the unemployed.

Ironic Britian.

• mark wadsworth says:

Mr G refers to the author as a pompous tw*t.

In my book, the author is a pompous Home-Owner-Ist tw*t.

• sibley's love child says:

“Not sure if they’re tossing a butler in with the price though….”

I’m obviously in the wrong job…

• “I can just about afford a £750,000 house with a £500,000 mortgage, but actually the one I’m looking at is roughly £150,000 more than that so I’m not sure whether I should try to find something cheaper.”
    How thick is this guy? He’s not sure whether to buy something which is 150K more than he can afford. It’s this moronic attitude which has landed a lot of people with a lifetime of debt.

• 5. timmy t

A lot of people? Try everyone, including the unborn.

• @ vindicated – thanks for the link – no doubt in a few years time it will be a multi-occupation property as it’s fairly close proximity to a university.

timmy t @ 5 – spot on with your last sentence

• 1. jack c said…

I would expect a castle and a butler etc.. for that type of money……yes, but not in primrose Hill.

Right now it would bring in about £60,000-£70,000 a year and that will do me just fine – I know plenty of people getting by on £25,000 a year.”
    What he meant, I think, is that he knows lots of people with inherited property (no mortgage) who find life a breeze – allways was the case. Oh the joys of feudalism.
    He’s never struck me as pompous, just smiley and a bit dim.

• braindeed – I think you are probably correct but the idea of a fairly small three-bedroom house @ £1.4m potentially generating £65k per annum is simply crazy to me. I would be interested to learn the typical selling prices of houses in this area 25 years ago.

• jack c @8

Agreed – almost immoral, and a symptom of great malaise.

• @Braindeed “Agreed – almost immoral, and a symptom of great malaise.”

Therefore doesn’t Matthew Wright represent the same immorality and malaise?

• Who on earth rents houses for that much? Who out there has £5,500 a month to spend in rent, but doesn’t want to buy? I know that large companies sometimes need to relocate whole families from half-way round the world, but their numbers must be relatively few. No, I suspect the only people with £5,500 a month housing allowance yet unable to buy, are benefits claimants. The high-end rental market will be destroyed by the forthcoming changes to housing benefit. (The changes come into force in April 2011, mark your calendars.)

• 10. mr g said…

@Braindeed “Agreed – almost immoral, and a symptom of great malaise.”

Therefore doesn’t Matthew Wright represent the same immorality and malaise?

In a sense, but he’s just running with the herd – it’s the game the country voted for, for decades. Sorting this out would mean almost everybody taking a ‘haircut’ of some sort: Homeowners will need to accept that the monopoly money our houses are supposedly ‘worth’ is fantasy. Pension holders will need to accept write-downs on the return on their pot – ( including civil servants…gulp). Savers need to accept a kicking too – having usually accumulated their particular pot through various inflation fuelled methods…..could go on

But…..we’re all Vi’s’ now, best some other ‘lesser’ grouping get their kecks dowm for the cane, eh Grumps?

There’s no consensus or acceptance that anything is even wrong, amongst the Big 3 parties, never mind what the solution is.

• tenyearstogetmymoneyback says:

Braindeed wrote “I would be interested to learn the typical selling prices of houses in this area 25 years ago.”

How about

Sheperds Bush W12
    Close to BBC TV Centre
    Spotless and Extended end of Terrace Cottage
    3 Bedrooms
    Fully Fitted Kitchen Diner
    Modern Bathroom WC
    Front and Rear Gardens

£115,000

The Leader Friday May 12 1989 (found in the bottom of a box of stuff from a car boot sale)

What is interesting is that the price was less than twice the equivalent property in Bristol or Bournemouth.

In the same paper there is a choice of 4 bed houses to rent in Ealing or Hanwell for £180 a week.