Monday, May 17, 2010

Home Ownerism Rampant?

U.K. Homebuyers Rank House Ownership Over Marriage, Poll Says

"Britons looking to buy a new home believe that owning their own property is a higher priority in life than getting married or starting a family, according to a ComRes Ltd. poll. Asked to rate the importance of home ownership, 71 percent of those polled scored it as at least 8 on a scale of 10, compared with 46 percent for marriage and 44 percent for having children, according to the poll, which was carried out for the U.K.’s biggest homebuilder, Barratt Developments Plc".

Posted by alan @ 04:07 PM (1234 views)

8 thoughts on “Home Ownerism Rampant?

• How about had they asked why, perhaps so that the respondents could have the security for the marriage and somewhere to bring up the kids.

• the number cruncher says:

All this poll tells us two things:
    1. the average individual is who registers with the Barrett’s website has a really screwed up moral compass. or
    2. Barrett’s employ poor questionnaire designers (or Both)

• @Zebbedee Quite.

There is no stability in rental accommodation. Right at the moment I am personally in a state of uncertainty with a rented house. In Europe there would not be the same uncertainty and I might be able to get on with my life. In the UK it is so important to have house prices fund the economy.

I can well see why buying a house is so high on the list of priorities in the survey. For me maybe it is too late, but lets not ruin the life of future generation in the the same way as we’ve ruined the life of a lot of babyboomer kids.

• I’m with you there number cruncher.

• tenyearstogetmymoneyback says:

This doesn’t surprise me.

The problem is that over the last ten years Home Ownership has been so imensely profitable
    that it completely overshadows things like having a career. It also makes people greedy/protective of their assets
    How easy is it to say the marriage vows when you have made £200000 on your property in the last fifteen years ?

• Groovychick says:

I think this isn’t far off the mark-I’m in my early 30’s, and most of my friends circle aims to buy their own property at some point in the near future, much less than the number who see themselves married anytime soon.

• Pre-nuptual agreements are on the rise, apparently.

• need-a-crash says:

I agree with Zebbedee @1. I don’t think this necessarily shows how home-ownerist and materialistic people are, it simply shows that you need a secure roof over your head before you can think about marriage and kids. Seems quite logical to me?