Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stealth Taxes, Falling Pound weigh heavy

Pumped Up: Petrol Prices Hit Record High

Average petrol prices have risen to an all-time high of 120p a litre, eclipsing the previous peak of 119.7p seen in July 2008, new figures show.(If people are spending more on Food, Energy, Water & Petrol how can they afford higher house prices?).

Posted by alan @ 06:48 PM (2106 views)

14 thoughts on “Stealth Taxes, Falling Pound weigh heavy

• Not really HPC related, but the headline inflation rate is a complete joke : Petrol, Gas, Electricity, Food, Water, Council Tax all way above 3% increases over the last year. Food alone has gone up at least 15% over the last 12 months alone. Maybe I’m buying the wrong “basket of goods” – perhaps I should forego the basics and just buy LCD TV’s and iPhones. Never tried eating an iPhone but I’m sure LCD TV’s would burn well with all that plastic and provide some heating.

• cat and canary says:

“The previous all-time high of 119.7p was reached when oil prices rose to $147 a barrel – but at a time when the pound was far stronger.”

… oh dear

• Lets think of it positively – all the extra duty going to the Treasury will help reduce the budget deficit

• U think Gordon B Dhead is ordering his private jets on the back of it

• Net importers now. Just as well they shifted all those cars while they could

• Pound hits record low and now buys you less than a strand of cotton in a shoe lace.

• $85 a barrel = $1.50 a gallon = 20p a litre. Obviously crude oil isn’t the same as petrol but there’s a hell of a mark up.

• Serendipity says:

And if you live outside main centres of population, such as in northern isles, you can add up to 20p a litre more…

• WHY when oil is half what it was at its peak?

• “If people are spending more on Food, Energy, Water & Petrol how can they afford higher house prices?”

Ah but, rising house prices are good, or so the majority of the thickos aka Great British public believe.

• to No.7 (my name by the way is Kiril)

My line manager just returned from trip to LA and says the americans are angry at 3$/gallon of petrol (at the forecourt)…
    Apparently he is not far from the truth: just google: tennesseegasprices

• As house prices rise, the thickos (to quote mr g) draw more equity from the property to subsidise their wages and so the ridiculous spiral continues. “Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee an actor’s life for me!”- off to pleasure island we go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzwjv5Zfw4M

• “It will be interesting to see how unpopular small modern fuel efficient faceless flats fare in years ahead. My nasty rented one bedroom flat uses about £150 a year of gas for heating, cooking and hot water; I always assumed I would want a nice solid old house again… but not so sure now”
    — The modern ones use electric, costing a bit more than gas.

• If the same logic is applied to petrol and food, as it is to house prices, then I am richer because the food in my cupboards has increased in value and worth more. The same for the full tank of petrol I have in my car because I walk to work. Gordon Brown has made me asset richer! The man is a financial wizard and will be getting my vote.