Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Do mention the Housing Policy Crisis in the election debate

Housing Policy Crisis

Not much seemed to have gone into debate on housing policies

Posted by easybetman @ 02:32 PM (1197 views)
Please complete the required fields.



5 thoughts on “Do mention the Housing Policy Crisis in the election debate

  • mark wadsworth says:

    That’s a good article, despite he focuses mainly on more council housing, which is a good idea in and of itself but only part of the overall solution (LVT, liberalise planning laws, restrictions on income multiples lending etc)

    The problem is, the parties know that (say) 60% of people want house prices to stay high and (say) 40% are indifferent or want them to go down so they have to keep silent on the issue – they think there are no votes in it. So they all chase the majority. As I have said before, if the HATE Party (‘Houses are too expensive’ Party) got its act together, it would get most of those 40%, leaving the other parties to squabble over the 60%, and it would sail into government.

    Reply
    Please complete the required fields.



  • tenant super says:

    I’m not convinced about the notion of a HATE Party. Over 50% of people support withdrawal from the EU but UKIP (the party founded on this issue) does not garner 50% or the vote or anywhere near it. A one-issue party never does well and when it formulates a comprehensive manifesto, it is bound to divide people over other issues.

    Actually, the only hope would be for a system like the one that saw the minaret ban in Switzerland, that is, a referendum on an issue can be demanded if enough people petition for it. I am unsure that 60% of people want prices to stay high. Not all homeowners do, particulary those with adult children stuck at home. I am convinced that a referendum requesting the government to actively target to bring house prices down to 3.5 x salary would be an ‘aye’ vote.

    Reply
    Please complete the required fields.



  • VOTE UKIP 🙂 The naughty boy in the class that will save us from the power crazed Headmasters.

    Let Bertie take the Cat O’ Nine ‘Tales’ instead for his stupidity.

    Reply
    Please complete the required fields.



  • Despite Vince using the “housing bubble” to point score (but no policy steer), nobody is prepared
    to talk about this number 1 elephant in the room. IMO it should be the top of every serious party’s manifesto.

    Why is the public so blind to this obvious cauase to the mess we’re in. Christ, if the public were’nt paying so
    much in mortgage debt, they’d have a few quid to spend and create growth … on products made in China. Dowp.

    Reply
    Please complete the required fields.



  • happy mondays says:

    doomwatch said…Why is the public so blind to this obvious cauase to the mess we’re in? Don’t rock the boat doomwatch..

    Reply
    Please complete the required fields.



Add a comment

  • Your email address is required so we can verify that the comment is genuine. It will not be posted anywhere on the site, will be stored confidentially by us and never given out to any third party.
  • Please note that any viewpoints published here as comments are user´s views and not the views of HousePriceCrash.co.uk.
  • Please adhere to the Guidelines

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>