Saturday, March 6, 2010

Baby boomers’ chickens coming home to roost

Homeward bound? Expats feel the pinch

“I expect to see a wave of repossessions and further house price falls after the next government brings in austerity measures.”

Posted by paul @ 03:08 PM (1055 views)

8 thoughts on “Baby boomers’ chickens coming home to roost

• That’s the way guys, you’ve got to blame someone for your failings so bash the baby boomers. Yaawn.

• mr g, do you get the feeling that you’re continuously being singled out? That you’re in the firing line when you feel you should have dodged the bullet? That everyone around you envies and resents what you have ‘worked hard’ for?

THAT’S BECAUSE EVERYONE AROUND YOU HAS WOKEN UP TO WHAT YOUR GENERATION HAS DONE TO OUR FUTURES.

If you don’t like it, STOP WHINGEING.

• I’ll tell you this much Paul, when you’ve started work on the shop floor, progressed your career through physical hard work and earned every penny of your assets like I have, then you will look after your own interests.

I’ll be damned if I’m going to slagged off by generation that doesn’t know the meaning of hard work and saving, it’s you and your generation who are the whingers because you expect everything handed to you on a plate without any effort on your part and can’t hack it when it comes to hard work.

I haven’t sh*t on anyone when it comes to house prices, aim your bitterness and frustration at the 35 to 50 year old age group who are the ones who have really ballsed up the housing market through greed not me.

• markj69 str05 says:

@mr g 3…’then you will look after your own interests. ‘ I think you’ll find that comment rings true for many. Unfortunately, the many are no so savy, when it comes to affairs of a financial nature. Sure most are OK with normal house-hold outgoings. But when it comes to larger expense, I believe many rely too heavily on the financial advise given to them, by so-called advisers. Lets face it, they are the ones lending the money, the ‘Surely they would only lend to me if it was affordable’ mentallity, has become too common a way of thinking. Gone were they days when your bank would say ‘no’, you can’t afford it (96-07). I welcome them back.
    Yes, incompetent, ignorant borrowing, but more-so i think, the fault lies with the negligent, incompetent, greedy, profiteering lending of the UK financial systems.

Too big to fail = High risk actions with low risk penalties. It’s the money lenders that need stringing up.

• Mr g, speaking as one of Paul’s generation I completely agree with you regarding the attitude of the majority of my generation needing everything on a plate. I guess it’s something we’ll learn through being less wealthy.

• [email protected]

Thanks for the support!

When I look at today’s obscene house prices I genuinely have sympathy with your generation.

Yes, I’m sure many in my generation have been greedy, however, I object to being tarred with the same brush by some contributors to HPC when all I have done is to be prudent and pay my way.

Once again thanks for your comments.

• Mr g @7, Not a problem.

Personally I gave up on settling down in the UK a while back. I know i won’t be able to afford a house and am certainly unwilling to take on the debt. It took me 9 years to pay off my student debt. So understand the anger.

Really just here because of work now, which is a shame.