Friday, February 5, 2010

Rightmove asking price data from two regions

UK House Price Graph 2008 onwards

At the end of 2007, I set up a Rightmove scraper to get daily house prices for two regions I was interested in, Hemel Hempstead and Braintree. I posted a graph of the data to date on this site last June, with some attempts at analysis. The regulars didn't think much of my analysis, so I will just say that the data has been updated and let people draw their own conclusions.

Posted by patchnpuki @ 02:37 PM (1340 views)

8 thoughts on “Rightmove asking price data from two regions

• fallingbuzzard says:

And what is your conclusion?

• And what is your conclusion?

Quite. It looks like a bit of a mess to me too.

• I disagree. the conclusion is whatever you want to make from it. Clearly it shows a decline in house prices for the 2-3 bedrooms, but the sample data is assumes all houses are alike. which is why the graph bounds are so variable. still though, there is a decine..

Very very interesting. it would interesting to see if you can narrow the areas to decrease the bounds on the sample data.

• I’d trust your data as much as anything I get from the industry..

..also regards the above comment. Real data is generally quite messy but it normally gets sanitized for consumption (moving everages etc) and can be misleading.

• It does look a mess, but even I can see that the general trend is downwards.

• Patchpuki, I’m interested is it easy to create a programme that scrapes data?

Thanks

• markj69 str05 says:

I often wonder if it would be better to track prices relative to council tax bands. If council tax bands are deemed to be a good categorisation of house values (Accounting for numerous variables), then surely average house prices could be calculated per band, and then monthly average prices for sales within each bands could be published. Thus, giving a true reflection on the average house price.

• I am rather encouraged to find people doing their own research rather than just reading news articles (although this is a news blog).
    The 2 and 3 bed houses show the smoothest lines probably because there are more of them sold, so I would remove the others from the graph to tidy it up – then you would see the pattern better.
    You could clean it up a bit then post it again?