Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bring it on!

Osborne sets out Tory eight-point plan to restore nation’s finances.

I particularly like the aim in point 2 to “Boost personal saving”.

Posted by mr g @ 04:02 PM (1460 views)

25 thoughts on “Bring it on!

• fallingbuzzard says:

Perhaps they counted up the number of over 55s in swing seats.

• ‘He was asked about his deficit plans but couldn’t give any details. What’s becoming clear is either he has a secret plan or no plan at all.’

Great, so we vote them in and then find out they have no plan at all. The nod and wink comment Darling made springs to mind here. So we are being asked to vote Tory on the back of an emergency budget that could announce absolutely anything.

• mark wadsworth says:

If you look at his announcement more closely you will find … absolutely nothing of any substance. It’s all Motherhood and Five-a-day Pie.

It’s fluff. It’s palliatives to make the Home-Owner-Ists feel less guilty about endless property ramping – in the cozy world of George Osborne, it’s not “mortgage debt” but “consumer debt”. If only we consumed less!? What? We didn’t “consume” very much at all, what we did was sell each other houses for ever more ridiculous values. Each and every NIMBY contributed directly to that burden of debt. Continued page 94.

• OMG

• I quite agree… there is nothing of any substance in any party’s proposals. It has the credibility of the Underpants Gnomes’ business plan.

• Vote us in and we’ll tell you what we stand for. Should be a vote winner in this moronic country. To the streets – ho no theres a sale on Stella in Tescos.

• So Boy George has had some more good ideas.

Did he ‘misspeak’ or did he say that he was going to reduce the number of children in workless families ??

Is this by ‘youthenasia’ ? or will he sell them to needy popstars or those American churches that seem to be harvesting children at present ?

• Conservatives if they come to power they will have to cut taxes for businesses but not for property speculators as well. If taxes raise revenues do not have to raise as well becuase businesses can pay so much, so some times smaller taxes bring more revenue. Think that way, think business not interests of banks, estate agents or property speculators, these interests are not the country’s interests.

• fallingbuzzard says:

• 8. fallingbuzzard said… I would like a hung parliament because it will serve to expose all political parties and the system for what it is.

well said

and we will get one

• fallingbuzzard says:

Sir Peter of Hartlepooly, heir to the throne, the only real politician among the lot of them.

• politician: a person experienced in the art or science of government

economist: a person experienced in the art or science of finance

• markj69 str05 says:

Hung parliament will mean they all have to work together to try and get the public on-side. They should also concentrate on the country, but from where i’m standing noone has any idea what to do. A monster has been created, and has turned upon its creators! Getting back to ‘hung parliament – Any decisions made will take too long, and either financial bods will have time to rip us all off again, or in the confusion the markets will crash and correct – Natural cyclic pattern returning.
    The down side of course to MP’s working together, is that they may pick up each others bad habits! As do criminals when spending time at her majestries pleasure (So I am led to believe).

• 12. markj69 str05 said… Hung parliament will mean they all have to work together

like a pit full of cocks work together

• markj69 str05 says:

‘Cocks’, rogues, fraudsters, whatever you call them, (And if the cap fits!), they either govern this country and take control, which I fear is beyond our most intelligent of potential ‘leaders’ (And I use this term very loosely), or they tweak a bit here and there, unless advised to do otherwise by what I suspect is significant guidance from industry (Mainly financial).

• fallingbuzzard says:

Or?

• 14. markj69 str05 said… they either govern this country and take control, which I fear is beyond our most intelligent of potential ‘leaders’ (And I use this term very loosely), or they tweak a bit here and there, unless advised to do otherwise by what I suspect is significant guidance from industry (Mainly financial)

please offer ONE mainstream figure from politics or industry who will lead us forward

… please don’t say Vince Cable

• the fact is, we are rudderless, both nationally and globally

unless you can persuade me otherwise

• markj69 str05 says:

I may in the past have commented on VC’s common sense arguments. However, I have no sensible offer for the role/responsibility, which is why i said – ‘ which I fear is beyond our most intelligent of potential ‘leaders’ ‘.

I disagree that we are totally ‘rudderless’. And I am not suggesting we are being directed responsibly, but the odd nudge and poke with QE schemes and the like are certainly having an effect. I rather believe that the country and markets would now do better without artificial stimulation, and left to their own devices, in a sort of rudderless way!

• 18. markj69 str05 said… I rather believe that the country and markets would now do better without artificial stimulation

We will find out later today if the Bank of England agrees.

Will Mervyn King announce an extension of quantitative easing (QE) ?

printy printy

• markj69 str05 says:

‘Will Mervyn King announce an extension of quantitative easing (QE) ?’ – No I don’t think he will. Not just yet. The previous amnts are still taking effect. I don’t think he’ll start to reverse QE either. He’ll print more but only to avoid absolute catastrophe, but I predict things will remain fairly static until after the GE.

• fallingbuzzard says:

Correct. Print more to avoid absolute catastrophe.

• @ 20. markj69 str05

that’s a pretty equivocal answer

i don’t blame you

firm positions that prove to be wrong will come back to haunt us sooner rather than later

• markj69 str05 says:

I’m not scared of stating my position when I have a clear understanding of all the variables. I have learnt a great deal over the past 5 years, about how quick things can change, and know never to underestimate unknown influences. ‘ I now know there are things I do not know!’

In these unpresidented times, noone can predict what will happen. I remain bearish, but accept the timescales will continue to slip.

‘Nobody knows anything’.