Wednesday, January 6, 2010

UK behind Lithuania, Czechs and Hungary

Britain falls to 25th best place to live in the world...

"Even former Communist countries where unemployment is still rife are considered better places to live. The Czech Republic and Lithuania were not even accepted into the European Union until 2004". "The U.S.A dropped from third to seventh place this because of last year's economic collapse. 'Sustaining the American Dream has escalated out of the reach of many,' said a magazine spokesman". Germany, which comes fourth in the overall survey, is widely praised for its efficiency and leisure facilities. The survey notes: "In Germany, everything works and works well. Its houses are built to last, and their legendary autobahns are still mostly without speed limits".

Posted by alan @ 07:06 PM (1725 views)

6 thoughts on “UK behind Lithuania, Czechs and Hungary

• ‘The French love little window boxes filled with flowers, tidy gardens, pretty sidewalk cafes, and clean streets. Cities are well tended and with little crime.’

Absolute bullshite .

When I did a tour there there a few years ago I’d never seen so much dog shite in the streets in my life (biggest pile ever near the steps to a large hotel) , the people were insulting , aggressive and generally downright abusive .

All down the coast .

Nicest people I met there were Belgiums .

Fock the French !!

• Yep, one thing I could never understand was why people love Paris so much. Sure, if you keep your head elevated above horizontal everything is beautiful, but lower it a few degrees and there are piles of poo absolutely everywhere, together with lots of rude Parisians and aggressive Algerians.

• cat and canary says:

France???? hahaha, no chance!

Hot weather, nice people, nice food, decent beaches within 1 hour drive, ski-ing within 2 hours drive, decent transport system, culture, amazing architecture…. its gotta be Barcelona!

• 25th? Approaching the end of my first tenancy in England, I’m surprised it scored that high.

• But Germany is populated mainly by Germans! Having lived in the German-speaking cantons of Switzerland and Germany, I find that a major drawback, although both places are incredibly well organised and clean.
    Oz and NZ are great to live in but the distance away and time zones (for making phone calls) are an issue to consider, as well as low thresholds for high tax rates. NZ people are very different from the British, some are resentful towards people with nice cars and clothes and make inconsiderate neighbours. I’ve had a few of them make nasty comments about foreigners stealing their jobs, without bothering to enquire whether I had special qualifications. Oz is more cosmopolitan but you would be shocked at how cavalierly some companies there behave towards their customers. And the telly progs really suck if you’re not into sport and back-slapping blokies as presenters.
    I have personally never met an unpleasant French person (is this because I have French ancestry and my best friend is French?) but must admit I’ve heard of plenty.

• need-a-crash says:

France is an incredibly socialist country so if you want to work for the state or not work much at all and enjoy coffee and Gauloise all day then fine but the food is not nearly as good as it used to be and Paris is definitely very dirty and threatening. Germany is often not even considered as even a holiday destination let alone emigration destination for obvious reasons but perhaps it should be? Unfortunately, German when spoken, still has the sound of the concentration camp guard to me! As for Oz and NZ, not them again! If it’s sooo good why are sooo many of them over here?