Friday, December 18, 2009

3,000 victims a year

Record numbers of elderly are forced to sell their homes to pay for care

"The scale of Labour’s betrayal of pensioners was laid bare as it emerged that every year at least 3,000 elderly people are forced to sell their homes to pay for residential care"... and still house prices went up in November !

Posted by alan @ 10:45 AM (4180 views)

31 thoughts on “3,000 victims a year

• Let’s assume you have 100 pensioners needing care, and 80 of them own homes and 20 of them own nothing. Should working age people chip in for care for ALL of them, OR should the assets of the hitherto lucky 80 (90% of those assets being entirely tax free and subsidised housing gains) be used to cross-subsidise the care of the other 20? Unless we leave the 20 to rot, “the taxpayer” has to pay, so why do the 80 think they shouldn;t chip in?

I’m against means testing in principle, but if we are to have means-testing, far better to only consider housing wealth and exclude everything else than what we have at present – where all other assets and income are used as an excuse to reduce benefit payments but housing wealth owned by lower income people is not only ignored but actively subsidised.

• So how are we supposed to pay for all of this care? There are lots of younger people where I live, cannot afford to move out from their parents homes, they just cost too much. And those lucky pensioners who have had a home, not only get those young people to pay for their residential care, they also get to keep their homes empty stopping those young people from moving out.

It is clearly an inter-generational war that is happening at the moment, with the Daily Mail on the side of the older generation. The younger generation are going to be taxed to death to pay for all of this. This is not sustainable. They will opt to leave, not work, or live in the black economy, until the whole system judders to a halt.

Then the older generation will wish they had been a bit more reasonable.

• This is when people finally find out that the jokes on them.. You pay for a house at hyper inflated prices for the next 25yrs to find out when things start to go wrong mentally or physically, you have to sell your house to pay for your own over priced time in a home for the elderly..This really is a sad state of affairs, the government should bow there heads in shame..Next we will here that they are not looking after our boys in Afghanistan ! OH that’s right the ‘re not..
    But i am sure the Mp’s shall sleep well ! Along side the bankers (literally) 2HATS

• 2. happy mondays War is only justified when leaders are prepared to send their sons to fight on the frontline till death.

Anything else is BS. They don’t have exclusive underground bunkers for no reason.

• I don’t see why people shouldn’t have to pay their way in old age as they do in earlier life. They are lucky their houses have gone up so much in value otherwise they’d be really f…..d. It’s really the old people’s kids who are angry about this sort of thing because they were expecting a nice little inheritance. Shame!

Having said that I prefer the idea of universal benefits to means tested because it seems fairer to me (e.g. child benefit). I think everyone should be eligible to go to a state-funded care home or similar but people with lots of money would probably go private anyway.

• If anyone wants the inside track on Copenhagen tune into http://www.prisonplanet.com and get it from Lord Monckton and others.

Don’t rely on UK media. A total blackout!

• So how come they do not take your house into account when assessing unemployment benefit? If you have cash savings your payments are reduced but if you are sitting on 250K equity in your house it is ignored? Saving is a mugs game!

• A family with the wrong members in control; that, perhaps, is as near as one can come to describing England in a phrase.

George Orwell

If you listen to prisonplanet.com radio, and just take in the raw ‘data’ alone, you will be more informed than the millions of clueless.

MERRY CHRISTMAS. May next year be a violent one.

• “Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thoughts in clear form.” Albert Einstein

• I have to agree with cyril. I don’t see why personal responsibility should go away when you get old. Why should anyone get to take money from taxpayers when they’ve got perfectly good assets of their own that they’re not using?

• I agree Carol, burn the old gits and use it to fund more extravagant Christmas lights around the chav estates of Britain.
    Electricity tokens, NO!!!!

• “express the results of his thoughts in clear form” – something you’ll have to work at Crunch. Maybe you too will become a “great spirit”, just keep up the pep talk.

• TC, agreed. Some old fashioned respect for the elderly. The third world more civilised than the HPC bunch?

• Usual sour grape comments from the usual miserable g1ts on HPC with “nimby” attitudes.

I’d put money on them being just as protective of their own interests if they required care but then that would be different of course wouldn’t it?

Hypocrites!

• I omitted to say,

TC @ 13 Glad to see that someone holds the same opinion as myself, your comment “Why is everyone blaming the elderly for actually OWING A HOUSE?………..” is spot on.

The attitude of a number of contributors to HPC, and not just to this article, to older people just stinks.

Previously, I have been slagged off for saying that I will do everything possible to pass my house on to my kids but those who criticise would still fight tooth and nail to protect their own interests.

Nimbyism rules OK! Do as I say, not as I do seems to be today’s motto.

• krustyatemyhamster says:

I’m struggling to think of anything more outrageous than sections of the population who have built up considerable personal wealth partly though their own endeavour, but mostly by screwing the younger generations, then expecting the said screwed younger generations to pay for their retirement costs whilst they sit on their pile of wealth like a latter day Silas Marner. (Of course what I’ve just said is an exaggeration – the actions of the City of London in expecting to profit massively from destroying the economy is more morally outrageous, but only just.)

I’m sorry if these views cause offence, but I’m an old-fashined meritocrat – I believe that you should get out of society what you put in, and I also belive the way we treat our elderly is disgraceful, but if their is a link to the way we treat our elderly then it is the very same self-centredness and self-interest of those that want to sit on their @rse and inherit and expect someone else less randomly fortunate to pay for their wealth. We now live in a very selfish, i’m alright jack society – this story from the Mail is the perfect manifestation of that attitude.

So, the children of homeowners want to get their greedy paws on unearned wealth and expect someone else (who will have to pay more for a house as a result) to pay for the care of their parents as well. That’s what it boils down to, and it is morally abhorrent.

• 22. krustyatemyhamster Who said life was fair. I did something about it and I get slagged off by some for doing so. I guess you just cant

win. Does the saying, What goes around comes around still hold true? What if “Agenda 21” is our/your future?

Now that would wake people up.

• WTF? Am I to take trhe ageist stuff on here seriously, or are some people just doing a wind up? Plenty of older people have worked hard all their lives but not in well paid jobs or in the police/army (etc) where you get to take the p1ss forever and ever after you retire maintaining your lifestyle at my expense. It is the rich/ poor divide that, as ever, is the unspoken elephant in the room.Yet the suggestion is made that the poorest property owning aged should have to go to the banking equity release shysters to be warm and dry in their old age. I think we need to reset our ethical and political compasses here a bit, don’t we? How about a very progressive income,wealth and land tax throughout ones lifetime? How about a decent state pension for all, not just the lucky few who were unimaginative enough to plod on in the right public sector career? Can’t afford it? Possibly because of the cash spent for banking, illegal wars, education which produces no measurable results, abandonded NHS computer systems, PPP and GP wage rises for less work. The way the older citizens of this disgraceful country are treated is a shocking indicator of where we are at as a society. Should the old not be allowed to own property if they can’t afford to have private nursing/residential care? Apply that logic to yorself when you next need the NHS.

• Sorry TC, you said the same thing, but a red mist decended!

• 1a2a0ccfacad4aa says:

I can understand why some find the perceived wealth of elderly homeowners as a direct assault against the young. having had to sit back and watch house prices progressively reach unaffordable highs, it is easy to become embittered at those who have bought at extremely low prices and benefitted just because they happened to be around at the right time. This is especially true when a minority of those elderly homeowners have consistently bragged about it!
    Is it right that the government should confiscate their assets to pay for care? I am in two minds about this. If they purchased a property as a home to raise a family in safe comfortable surroundings, then why should others demand that they sell to pay for care. However, if they purchased the property as an investment for their retirement, then isn’t selling and paying for care just that – funding their retirement?
    I believe buying property as an income to support retirement is a relatively modern phenomenon which most home owning elderly in care homes did not have directly in mind when buying their homes.
    Direct your anger at those most deserving, buy-to-let investors, speculators and most of all, the government who not only let this happen, but actively encouraged it.

• I thought their houses were their pensions! Isn’t that what high house prices are for?

• Well said clockslinger @26.

Some of the contributors to this site have their heads so far up their own ar*es (full of their own self importance in politer words) that they cannot see that there is a large percentage of the population who have worked their nuts off and got on through their own efforts and are not prepared to give their hard earned possessions away to support the socialist state.

This is the social mobility, so beloved of this rotten government but when you don’t work or even live in the real world or you are so embittered like a number of regular contributors then I suppose you cannot see the obvious.

• krustyatemyhamster says:

Sorry to come back to this ridiculously late – have been away for the weekend. I collect wealth during my working lifetime to pay for my retirement. This concept is called self-suffiicency – It’s a very right wing idea, yet we have the usual puerile individuals on here attacking this concept as being socialist because they want hang on to their wealth and expect someone else to pay for their retirement. Enough said.

• krustyatemyhamster says:

Mr G
    I don’t wish to be rude, but if I had such an obvious lack of education and intellect, I’d probably keep my views to myself, but what I certainly wouldn’t do is constantly make childish statements criticising other people who happen to have a different world view and are capable of thought and rationality to a far higher degree than myself. This isn’t conceit on my part; it is an objective view based on the evidence of your contributions to this blog.

• krustyatemyhamster says:

“they cannot see that there is a large percentage of the population who have worked their nuts off and got on through their own efforts and are not prepared to give their hard earned possessions away to support the socialist state.”

Sorry to return again, but Christ you’re thick. The reason they need to sell their house is to pay for care. 1) If they’re in care they don’t need a house 2) They’re paying for themselves out of wealth they have created during their lifetime. They’re not paying to support any state let alone a socialist one. They are paying their own way rather than relying on benefits paid for by younger generations.