Sunday, November 22, 2009

What planet are these people on!

What happened when I tried to live on £65 a week

How many other 50 somethings are also like Liz who is hopeless at living within her means, and despite a hefty salary is £150,000 in debt (not including her 'horrendous', interest-only mortgage) and doesn't even have a pension. The other unsung crisis is the many businesses that rely on the profligate spending of credit by people like Liz who live and 'work' in the SE.

Posted by enuii @ 11:20 PM (2116 views)

10 thoughts on “What planet are these people on!

• for information only…

best rated – up one thousand and seventy

Get real. 1 week. 1 poxy stinking week – and you have a god given right to write an article on how drained you now feel. 1 pathetic week. Ooooh look at me I can’t live without my £9 toothpaste. Red arrow me everyone – but Liz needs to visit planet Earth and shut the hell up!

– Poopascoopa, Green-Pea-Boat, 20/11/2009 8:30

worst rated – down two hundred and sixty

Have you forgotton to mention all the other benefits people get: child tax credits; reduced council tax; free school meals; free dental; pension top-ups etc???

– Philip, Middlesbrough, 20/11/2009 8:15

• general congreve says:

Read this the other day. Completely stupid b1tch. Claims she’s not poor but appears to have massive unserviceable debts, so we’ll see how rich she is in a couple of years time (mind you if we get inflation she might be laughing). It’s idiots like her that the d1ck-brained banks have been lending to which has caused all this trouble. Now the rest of us have a huge tax liability for their selfish greed. 26k bat sanctuary. [email protected]

• enuii,

“How many other 50 somethings are also like Liz….”

I like to think I have a fairly diverse circle of friends and acquaintances. None of them are remotely like Liz. The Mail must have dug deep to find this tragic individual. The fact that she works in the fashion/media industry probably goes a long way to explaining her distorted lifestyle expectations.

Here’s her article from two weeks ago:

Daily Mail: I spend money to fill a hole in my soul… now I’m £150,000 in debt
    “Like most people my age, my money is in my house.”

– Muwahahahahaha!

• House equity, debt and savings are now a matter of opinion, such is the state of this financially whimsical country. The shortfalls of living in a democracy. Mob rule!

• “I am exhausted. I cannot move or think. I look terrible, ugly. I feel completely humiliated.”

She’s right on the money with “ugly”, and I’m glad she realises that she has humiliated herself, and yet she completely fails to realise that she is really really stupid.

Which I guess just goes to show how stupid she really is.

• [email protected]

I thought I had a first class command of Anglo Saxon expletives but I have to acknowledge you use them more eloquently than I ever could.

I agree with every sentiment in your comment, well said Sir!

• I read this a few days ago and tried very hard to surpess the urge to spit at my computer.

• The Mail is doing people a service here as it shows the consequences of being in your late fifties (redundancy more likely at this age) with large debts, reckless spending and the perilous position of having an interest only mortgage.

• … and no pension

• So, it seems from the comments that we are moving back to an Edwardian mentality when having the wherewithal to look after yourself and family in old age were seen as personal virtues that you either had or didn’t – not a question of how to organise things nationally. Sure she has behaved stupidly, but it’s predictable that many people behave stupidly, so surely we need a system that is robust to that… ie buck still stops with politicians.