Sunday, October 25, 2009

A conspiracy of pusillanimity

We can put a stop to huge, undeserved bank bonuses

"The bonuses being paid this year are not a reward for talent, but the product of taxpayer support, central bank rates so cheap they are almost free, and reduced competition."

Posted by letthemfall @ 09:12 AM (1377 views)

12 thoughts on “A conspiracy of pusillanimity

• Just so everyone knows it’s a 14th century word for cowardliness, “Pusillanimity” is generally used as a noun (singular) and is only used about 5 times out of a sample of 100 million words spoken or written in English as ranked by websters online dictionary based on over 700,000 words used in the English language.

• Ding ding ding!

You’ve used the word of the day – “Pusillanimity”.

(Last used in September 1834, it describes the state or condition of being pusillanimous; timidity; cowardliness.)

• The simplest way to stop the bonuses?

STOP QE!

• Sorry

• happy mondays says:

Nice phdinbubbles… How do you load up the you tube?

• Good job we’re all educated chaps eh? Seems an apposite word to me. I can’t believe it was last used in 1834 though.
    (Do we all know what apposite means?)

• The famous Ruttles lyric from the song ‘Another Day’

At times like these
    When enemies can number more than friends
    A friend indeed is what I need
    Not someone who pretends
    NastyI’m on my way
    I cannot stay
    Another day
    ….
    You’re so pusillanimous, oh, yeah
    Nature’s calling, and I must go there

(Neil Innes)

• Surely if we put a stop to bonuses, they’ll just pay bankers more in basic wages instead? Or find a creative way around the system?

• It was last used in 1834, until Marina’s broadcast.

Honestly.

• phdin.. They’ll be playing that in year 10 English lessons before long.

robh I didn’t realise I was in such august company. The only Ruttles song I can remember is: I feel good, I feel bad…

paul Have I unwittingly made this site a once in a 200 year event?

drewster No doubt. Windfall tax.

• 11. titaniccaptain

Then you would be under her spell, if you are not already.

Bookends?

• No problem with bonuses as long as these people have out performed the Ftse.
    Since April the ftse is up 50% so being in the game they should have out performed this. Infact Lloyds Barclays Rsb shares up 250-500% same with house builders.
    What i could not stand is if they have not out performed the market and then get rewarded. Its been easy money this year. what would be good would be a rolling tally of their performance including 2008.